Search

FAA Commissions Safety Study of In-Air Cell Phones

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2003, 2:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
FAA Commissions Safety Study of In-Air Cell Phones

A study commissioned by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Air Transport Association is intended to resolve a long-standing question: Do wireless telecommunications devices on commercial flights interfere with navigational equipment?

The study, to be conducted by the nonprofit group RTCA , will investigate the effects of high-altitude communications from handheld computers, laptops and cell phones.

Experts say there is no proof that wireless devices interfere with navigation systems. David S. Watrous, president of RTCA, formerly known as the Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics, said anecdotal evidence suggests that some pilots have had trouble with their equipment when passengers used wireless communications devices.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...ml?nav=hptoc_b
Old Jun 20, 2003, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
With no technical expertise to back me up, I still can not see how these devices can cause problems. The reality is there are ALWAYS phones, computers, 2 way pagers still operating, either because people forget, do not know of just don't care. Yet planes are not falling out of the sky.

Side note - quoted from the article above " "The study is scheduled for completion by October 2005." Speedy work,eh?
Old Jun 20, 2003, 6:09 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Exactly!!!

Cell towers rapidly handing off signals is another matter, but it's very unlikely that cell phones interfere with a plane's electrical systems.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
With no technical expertise to back me up, I still can not see how these devices can cause problems. The reality is there are ALWAYS phones, computers, 2 way pagers still operating, either because people forget, do not know of just don't care. Yet planes are not falling out of the sky.</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.