Search

Detroit Free Press: 30 years ago today - NW 255

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Detroit Free Press: 30 years ago today - NW 255

It's been 30 years since the unfortunate accident that killed all but one person aboard the MD-80 aircraft flying from DTW-PHX. The cause of the crash was the failure of the crew to configure the aircraft for takeoff. They skipped a checklist and did not set the flaps/slat for departure. The takeoff warning system failed to alert the crew. This was most likely due to the pilots pulling the circuit breaker as many found it to be annoying during single engine taxi. The NTSB found smudge marks for that circuit breaker on all of the MD-80 aircraft indicating it was a common practice.

There was one survivor who was four years old at the time of the crash. Thankfully she has been able to live a life of privacy despite some people being freakishly obsessed with her.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ars/570095001/
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
It's been 30 years since the unfortunate accident that killed all but one person aboard the MD-80 aircraft flying from DTW-PHX. The cause of the crash was the failure of the crew to configure the aircraft for takeoff. They skipped a checklist and did not set the flaps/slat for departure. The takeoff warning system failed to alert the crew. This was most likely due to the pilots pulling the circuit breaker as many found it to be annoying during single engine taxi. The NTSB found smudge marks for that circuit breaker on all of the MD-80 aircraft indicating it was a common practice.

There was one survivor who was four years old at the time of the crash. Thankfully she has been able to live a life of privacy despite some people being freakishly obsessed with her.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ars/570095001/
I flew into DTW right after this and remember there was still remnants of the crash along the road leading to DTW (I think it was along the road IIRC), it was 30 years ago lol and my memory isn't what it used to be
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I saw this on the news while at NRT about to fly NRT - DET on NW. At least one other time I flew on an airline who had an accident the same day Very sad.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I was in my living room at my home in Grosse Pointe Woods watching tv with my girlfriend when this came across the news. Never forget it...

I was 17 .
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by enviroian
I was in my living room at my home in Grosse Pointe Woods watching tv with my girlfriend when this came across the news. Never forget it...

I was 17 .
Grosse Pt

you guys are in the LLWS again
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Grosse Pt

you guys are in the LLWS again
I was their pitcher in 1979 lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.