Wall St. Journal: Airlines Dial Up Pampering for Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.

From The Wall Street Journal, August 14, 2017:

Airlines Dial Up Pampering for Business Class
With privacy panels and mini suites, carriers are vying to lure premium passengers, but costs spiral

Airlines are making bigger bets with premium passengers, offering luxury seats that are loaded with doodads that could push up the cost of outfitting a plane by millions of dollars.

The new breed of seats for business fliers can convert to a lie-flat bed, with 15-inch display screens, entertainment systems that offer hundreds of channels and privacy panels sealing off fellow passengers. Some of these posh seats can be grouped together to form a walled ‘mini suite.’

Such seats cost the carrier anywhere from roughly $50,000 to as much as $500,000, according to industry officials. Carriers, including Delta Air Lines Inc., Qatar Airways and United Continental Holdings Inc. are vying to offer these latest innovations even as they find ways to squeeze more revenue out of coach cabins with tighter seating.

Balance of article here but may require a subscription.

And is it any wonder why costs for these seats are spiraling when you have this: "Development and safety testing adds to the cost, and airlines’ preference for unique seats means production runs may be less than a dozen for the most exclusive offerings, and seldom reach into the hundreds."
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:11 am

Interesting. Guess I'm old school - I was happy with the lazy boy seat and better meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.