Reload this Page >

Independent: Black tourist "pushed down stairs by AirBnB host" in Amsterdam

Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery

The filmmaker claims that the man told her, 'This is not Africa' before pushing her down the stairs.

A South African tourist was hospitalised in Amsterdam after she was pushed down a flight of stairs in Amsterdam by her Airbnb host.

Filmmaker Sibalhe Nkumbi, who is studying in Europe, was in Amsterdam to review a friend’s art exhibition when the incident - which was caught on video – took place on Saturday.

She was checking out of her Airbnb late when the host lost his temper and threw her down the stairs. He had been summoned by his wife.
Please see:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7834376.html

Cheers & Safe travels. ^
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Airbnb knows it has a problem with some racist hosts on its platform. It's why Airbnb updated its terms and required site/app users to accept terms not to discriminate along specified lines like race/ethnicity. I doubt that the Airbnb TOS update will entirely eliminate the problem, as this incident seems to go to show that even racist hosts may be more eager to make money from the targets of their racism than to not make money from the targets of their racism. But this isn't surprising to me, as money tends to have power until it doesn't.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Not that it excuses any form of physical contact, but the headline is a bit sensational. In her own words she says “As I was gripping against the wall he’s trying to get me to his position and eventually I lost my grip and that’s when I flew down.” So to say he 'threw' her down the stairs is a bit hyperbolic.

In a Dutch paper, it was reported that:
- they were one hour and a half over time
- landlady had more than once asked to leave
- police has concluded no racism was involved

Laying hands on anyone is absolutely unacceptable but it seems there is some bad behaviour on both sides, here. I think tempers flared and things were said due to that more than a simple case of racism.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Finkface
Not that it excuses any form of physical contact, but the headline is a bit sensational. In her own words she says “As I was gripping against the wall he’s trying to get me to his position and eventually I lost my grip and that’s when I flew down.” So to say he 'threw' her down the stairs is a bit hyperbolic.

In a Dutch paper, it was reported that:
- they were one hour and a half over time
- landlady had more than once asked to leave
- police has concluded no racism was involved

Laying hands on anyone is absolutely unacceptable but it seems there is some bad behaviour on both sides, here. I think tempers flared and things were said due to that more than a simple case of racism.
Has the police concluded that laying hands on her was involved and is acceptable?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not getting into this case, but is it ok when people are ... or commit assault when race is not a factor?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
There's an interesting other case too which involves racism incl. verdict against the Airbnb host:

Airbnb host who canceled reservation using racist comment must pay $5,000

Exclusive: Tami Barker, who said she was canceling a guest’s booking because the woman was Asian, must take a course in Asian American studies.

Please see:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...asian-american

Cheers & Safe travels. ^
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uggboy
There's an interesting other case too which involves racism incl. verdict against the Airbnb host:

Airbnb host who canceled reservation using racist comment must pay $5,000

Exclusive: Tami Barker, who said she was canceling a guest’s booking because the woman was Asian, must take a course in Asian American studies.

Please see:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...asian-american

Cheers & Safe travels. ^
The US is a different world in this regard than the Netherlands and most of Europe. The practical legal penalties for racist and sexist discrimination are largely a joke in Europe compared to in the US.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:18 pm

These are obviously fairly outrageous and awful stories. But the real tragedy in my view is the one that is largely undocumented, that is, the disproportionately high rejection rate some minorities face when trying to book an Airbnb.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.