Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Federal News Radio: USAF to Discuss Pilot Shortage with Airlines

http://federalnewsradio.com/air-forc...-shortage-may/
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some summary is in order, IMO...

While many non-US airlines hire people for pilots de novo and train them*, US airlines have relied on the armed forces (you and me) training pilots, who then often move to commercial airline positions. Some remain in military reserve components, retaining rank and modified retirement rights from the armed forces for their reserve callups and mandatory annual reserve period.

The armed forces (notably the Air Force, but the Navy and Marines have similar situations) are trying to design strategies whereby pilots can "split" time between USAF and airlines to stop the loss of experienced pilots.

“Our senior leaders are going to start collaborating with the airlines in May to see if we can get a public private partnership and what that might look like, so I think that’s where you’ll see we are going,” Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso, the Air Force deputy chief of staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, told Federal News Radio.

During a March 29 House Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee hearing, Grosso said that the Air Force is exploring an intermission program that would allow pilots to fly certain seasons with an airline company and then come back to the Air Force.

The program would give pilots seniority in the commercial airline world, while still filling much needed pilot spots in the military service.
This could work out well for both.

*E.g. Taiwan's EVA Air flight school at Sacramento's Mather Airport, Sacramento CA, where recruits take their initial flight training (five months); the training is valued at $50,000 per student. In turn, these young pilots will be flying commercial airliners in less than two years from inception, but are obligated to fly for EVA for a minimum of fifteen years in return for the training.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 30, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.