Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Post: More classes, more air rage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Washington Post: More classes, more air rage

Air rage is more common when there are more classes in a plane. Apparently even the presence of a first-class cabin sets economy passengers off.

What's more, air rage is more common when passengers pass through a different cabin while boarding - even if it's F passengers passing through the main cabin.

Full article in the Washington Post here.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Really? Please tell me why it is, that LCCs and charters seem to suffer from the highest number of 'air rage' incidents.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Really? Please tell me why it is, that LCCs and charters seem to suffer from the highest number of 'air rage' incidents.
The linked article cites a statistical study by two Harvard professors. Many studies turn out to be unreproducible, but I still tend to believe research more than my own impressions from news reports.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ajGoes
The linked article cites a statistical study by two Harvard professors. Many studies turn out to be unreproducible, but I still tend to believe research more than my own impressions from news reports.
Agree. Besides, charters are a whole separate issue. Dynamics within a charter group, especially if it's going to/from an athletic event or a potentially rowdy vacation spot, encourage some behaviors that are characterized as "air rage" if they happen on an plane but would be called hooliganism if they took place on the ground.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
https://www.economist.com/blogs/gull...nvy-30000-feet

Another article, probably of the same study.

I think the other thing I've heard is that it's not enough to be able to sit in premium class. They enjoy the experience more because other passengers are not as comfortable.

IOW, if all the seats in the plane were business or first class, the passengers wouldn't enjoy it as much as sitting in premium class on multi-cabin planes.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Wapo is birdcage liner.
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:57 am

Thanks for the article
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jules Dupuit on why there are classes of travel

It is not because of the few thousand francs which would have to be spent to put a roof over the third-class carriage or to upholster the third-class seats that some company or other has open carriages with wooden benches … What the company is trying to do is prevent the passengers who can pay the second-class fare from traveling third class; it hits the poor, not because it wants to hurt them, but to frighten the rich … And it is again for the same reason that the companies, having proved almost cruel to the third-class passengers and mean to the second-class ones, become lavish in dealing with first-class customers. Having refused the poor what is necessary, they give the rich what is superfluous.
"They have no bread? Let them eat cake!"
Always works out well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.