Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Business Insider: Single statistic shows why all airline passengers not created equal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Insider: Single statistic shows why all airline passengers not created equal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry

This article from Business Insider discuss US carriers, but similar changes have been introduced at AC.

The premise is that 15% of clients, deliver 50% of the revenue, and that 85% of the clients fly fewer than once per year. Airlines are focusing on the 15%.
--
13F
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has been discussed before in other forums

The 85% are likely to below yield flying on the cheapest fares. They contribute to overhead but not profit. Still if this 85% pax / 50% revenue go to another airline that's bad news (=loss) for the airline.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
This article from Business Insider discuss US carriers, but similar changes have been introduced at AC.

The premise is that 15% of clients, deliver 50% of the revenue, and that 85% of the clients fly fewer than once per year. Airlines are focusing on the 15%.
--
13F
You could say the same for a lot of businesses.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
For some FT members finally making the top 15% of a ranking is as good as it gets because alot of them were the type of person who was picked last in gym class.

AC must be a very egalatarian type of organization because , I as a member of the 15% segment. asm usually treated like the other 85%.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:55 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond, Fairmont Premier, Amex Platinum, Aeroplan
Treat everyone well and people would be willing to pay more money, as is the case with Apple products
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by InstantElite
Treat everyone well and people would be willing to pay more money, as is the case with Apple products
Surely, if there is a model of a company that respects and cares for its customers, it's Apple.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:42 am

It would very interesting to know what the annual $ spend puts one into the top 50%.

Could it be approximated by total passenger revenue divided by number of passengers flown from an annual report?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
While there maybe parallels to Air Canada as the article itself fails to mention the airline I'll relocate this wider aviation discussion to the Travel New Forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Note that it really isn't 15% - 15% fly once per year or more. Once per year is a very low bar.

Airlines are probably focused on their top 1-2% of customers. AC has maybe 15,000 SE's and 75,000 Elites - but how many people have flown AC over the last 5 years - I'm assuming at least several million. Other airlines likely have similar ratios.

Last edited by The Lev; Oct 24, 2016 at 9:11 am
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Surely, if there is a model of a company that respects and cares for its customers, it's Apple.
Really? I am glad you are satisfy but I disagree with your statement completely.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Every industry gets 80% of its revenue from 20% of its customers, 60% of its revenue from 5% of its customers, more or less. That's true of airlines, of florists, of just about everything except (perhaps) barbershops/hairdressers.

Every intelligent manager knows this. Every intelligent manager wants to identify those top few percent and figure out how to keep them coming back. I don't think airlines trying to do that too is in any way weird or evil.

Besides, most of us here have figured out how benefit from that effort. After all, that's much of what FT is about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.