Search

Reuters: Airbus to cut A380 assembly rate to one aircraft per month from 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Reuters: Airbus to cut A380 assembly rate to one aircraft per month from 2018

PARIS (Reuters) - Airbus plans to slow the assembly rate of its A380 superjumbo to one aircraft per month from 2018, the head of the A380 program told Le Figaro, as the European planemaker struggles to revive sales of the world's largest passenger jet.

"This decision allows us to smooth our deliveries pending new orders," Alain Flourens told the French newspaper. Airbus' assembly rate for the A380 currently stands at 2.5 aircraft per month.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/airbus-cu...ce.html?ref=gs

Anyone care to comment about what carriers might be looking at this aircraft down the line? I thought Qantas said they pretty much had all they needed for their routes.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Anyone care to comment about what carriers might be looking at this aircraft down the line?
Ya, none.

This is being actively discussed on the EK thread, and the reality is that Airbus missed with this whale.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:09 am

It's a shame really, once you've flown with a a380 it's hard going back to the noisy cabins of (most) other aircrafts.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Anyone care to comment about what carriers might be looking at this aircraft down the line?
More appropriately: How many airlines/leasing companies are going to transform/cancel their A380 orders?

I suspect that Airbus is slowing the production down to keep the line busy until airlines decide on renewing their fleets. While the A380 only works for few airlines, they seem to work for them. I can see the big players ordering an eventual A380neo as replacements for their current fleet of A380.

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
It's a shame really, once you've flown with a a380 it's hard going back to the noisy cabins of (most) other aircrafts.
I slightly prefer the 787 cabin over the A380. The A350 is still on my bucket list. But it's obvious that a newly designed aircraft is more comfy than an modernized design of the 90s, 80s, 70s or 60s (though the 77W and 747-8 have comparably quiet cabins too).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
It's interesting how BA use A380s (they have stated they are interesting in increasing their fleet but not at current prices, and only if they have RR engines if second hand).

Rather than fly them on their busiest routes (LHR <> JFK) they use them on secondary routes, often reducing the number of flights but keeping the number of seats and thus freeing up slots at LHR.

One of the big issues of the A380 is the lack of freight space, but even the B748 is got doing so well. The age of Hub & Spoke/giant airliners may be over with extended range narrow bodies doing TATL flights soon.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm in agreement with Worcester.

Airbus are competing against themselves, really, with the A350 series. More efficient, can be deployed on a number of routes that A380s would never be economical on. The A380 works between heavily slot controlled hubs such as LHR and limited capacity hubs that can handle the whale. At best, the need for A380s is quite small in comparison to the A330 or 777, particularly the new variants in the works, and the A350 and 787 families.

Boeing attempted updating the 747 at the moment many airlines were dumping their 747s, so AFAIK most 747-8s have gone to cargo carriers - and even Lufti has announced the date that they will terminate 748 passenger service. With the 777 and coming updated X version, 787 versions, etc. the 747 will end up fading away to places like Mojave and Roswell.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
With the 777 and coming updated X version, 787 versions, etc. the 747 will end up fading away to places like Mojave and Roswell.
That day won't be in the foreseeable future. All of the 747-8i are younger than 5 years. The age of KLM's 747 range from 14 to 27 years (BA: 17 to 26 years). Some cargo airlines and military operators go far beyond that and several aircrafts older than 40 years are still operating.

Moreover I expect several cargo airlines to keep the 747-8F in the air as long as possible given the flexibility the front cargo door offers. Additionally a potential AF1 replacement might fly for another 40 or 50 years. I could imagine, that Boeing might built themselves 4 747-8F shortly before terminating the program in order to have replacement aircrafts for the 747-400LCF, which will need replacement at some point.

Regarding the A380, it's simply too small for 4 engines and too big for most airlines. With exception to certain routes, aircrafts with two engines give more flexibility.

For now, Airbus can only keep the A380 production running as long as possible and hope that, by the time the fulfilled every order, the first A380 are going to need replacement. Currently I can't see the major operators abandon the A380.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Boeing attempted updating the 747 at the moment many airlines were dumping their 747s, so AFAIK most 747-8s have gone to cargo carriers - and even Lufti has announced the date that they will terminate 748 passenger service. With the 777 and coming updated X version, 787 versions, etc. the 747 will end up fading away to places like Mojave and Roswell.
Boeing didn't bet the farm like Airbus did. They scaled up technology from the 787 wing and engines, and lengthen the air-frame at the middle where it is strongest. Boeing may lose money on this move buy they won't lose their pants like airbus did. Also, as much as many of us love the 747 this move wasn't made for passengers, or for the future of long haul aircraft. The 77x is the future, and Airbus knows it. The 748i was designed and built so the US Air Force could replace it's two aging VC-25's.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Moreover I expect several cargo airlines to keep the 747-8F in the air as long as possible given the flexibility the front cargo door offers. Additionally a potential AF1 replacement might fly for another 40 or 50 years. I could imagine, that Boeing might built themselves 4 747-8F shortly before terminating the program in order to have replacement aircrafts for the 747-400LCF, which will need replacement at some point.
I completely agree. The 748f is a force in the cargo market, and will be around for a while. The CEO of Cargolux was quoted a few years ago saying if he could afford it he would get 50 of them. Fright will keep the queen alive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.