Search

LA Times: Airlines seek to limit types of therapy animals allowed on planes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
LA Times: Airlines seek to limit types of therapy animals allowed on planes

Turkeys, pigs and even roosters have flown the friendly skies, carried onto commercial planes by passengers who identified the critters as emotional support animals.

But a committee of airline representatives and disabled rights advocates has been meeting for months in Washington, D.C., to come up with new rules on what type of animals should be permitted on planes and what documents are required to prove the animals are needed.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...nap-story.html
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
They'd be better off legislating against fake "support animal" credential mills that will send anyone an official-looking certificate and harness for their dog, cat, potbellied pig, etc. that gets them into the cabin via fraudulent means.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I was on a flight, 3-3 single aisle in Y.

Two women with an Irish setter pre-boarded and sat in the Y bulkhead with the dog fully occupying the area between the seats and the bulkhead. I was across the aisle.

It was a completely full flight. One pax, a woman, was stuck sitting in the other bulkhead row with her feet literally under the dog's back end for the flight.

Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We can only hops that this joint effort succeeds.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We can only hops that this joint effort succeeds.
Therapy bunnies should have an exemption.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indicative of the selfishness overtaking the USA today. Nobody wants to fly with your damn dog...
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Support animals - if the person cannot fly without an animal, (s)he is unfit for flying and as such should not be allowed to fly.

The ONLY exception I'd make is for guide dogs for the blind - if correctly documented.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ScatterX
Therapy bunnies should have an exemption.
If you're talking about the Hefner type of bunnies, I'm all in
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:56 am

Well.. there are a whole range of actual SUPPORT animals i'm happy to see fly... from the classic seeing eye dog to various seizure dogs and so on...

BUT... there needs to be a single authorised issuer of permits for such valid animals.... with strict requirements for approval... and stiff penalties for attempting to scam...

Is that feasible... I dont know...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
They'd be better off legislating against fake "support animal" credential mills that will send anyone an official-looking certificate and harness for their dog, cat, potbellied pig, etc. that gets them into the cabin via fraudulent means.
From your lips to gods ears! It is getting out of control.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'd like to see limits on the size of animals. If your animal exceeds a certain size, you pay for another seat (or more) to accommodate your animal.

I knew a friend of a friend who got a part-wolf dog. She's a small woman (5'3", 105 lbs); at 6 months the dog was already taller than her waist. When she decided to relocate from OR to NY, she didn't want to ship the dog, so she claimed it was her 'comfort animal'.

That dog was already bigger, at six months, than the setter I observed - the one that took up the entire bulkhead floor space of three seats, one of which was occupied by a stranger.

It's uncomfortable for both pax and the dog. I should not be obligated to yield all of my floor space to someone's dog If it needs that much additional room, in the cabin, then pay for it - whether or not it's a legit comfort dog.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
". . . The Asthma and Allergy Foundation wants to limit the type of animals allowed on a plane for a different reason.
'Allowing various types of animals to fly will expose all passengers to pet dander, even when the animal is riding in an enclosed carrier,' the group wrote to members of the committee."

I agree. For those of us with allergies to pet dander, this is a big problem.

Last edited by TRRed; Oct 6, 2016 at 9:02 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
'Emotional support animal'? Eh, no, I think not. Your mental state is obviously fragile, and we wouldn't want to risk your life, or that of other passengers, in case of an emergency. Do have a nice day, and here's the number for AVIS.

[Removed OMNI/PR-esque political comment]

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 11, 2016 at 10:14 pm Reason: Please take politics to OMNI/PR
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:04 am

I do agree with some type of limit to the size of the animal and requiring documentation. Is there maybe a way that airlines could document which flights allow service animals so those with allergies can choose other flights?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Pre-Covid Concierge Key, 7 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Write the Dept of Transportation

I wrote the Dept of Transportation about this. I had a dog for 17 years so I do like dogs. But, "emotional support animals" are mostly people's pets who have sent away for these fake documents. I have flown 225,000 so far this year and there are too many animals. I couldn't get out of my row with the persons dog on the floor. What happened to my safety? I almost fell trying to step over the animal. It's out of control. And, if I complain, I get moved. Everyone needs to write the DOT. Google DOT and you'll get a form to fill out and email. It's very easy. Also, the American Disabilities Act protects legitimate service animals who help people see and hear. These "emotional support animals" are not service animals. All of us who fly, let's handle this. Write the DOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.