Wiki Posts
Search

Re-Thinking the Airline Safety Demo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Re-Thinking the Airline Safety Demo

Up now in my Ask the Pilot blog...

Preempting Deadly Behavior: Will Airlines Address the Shortfalls of the Inflight Safety Demo?

The recent crash-landing of a Boeing 777 in Dubai was the latest in a string of incidents in which a number of passengers demonstrated some pretty astounding recklessness. Many of the plane’s occupants imperiled not only their own lives, but the lives of everybody around them, by evacuating from the burning aircraft laden with carry-on bags.

We also saw this in Toronto several years back after an Air France jet went off a runway and burst into flames, then again in 2015 during a fire and evacuation in Las Vegas. Each time I’ve suggested that one of the most effective ways of preempting this dangerous behavior would be to make it an emphasis item in the pre-takeoff passenger safety demo.

This should be part of a strategic overhaul of the entire safety demo concept. For starters, the briefings need to be much, much shorter. In my book I speak of “aviation’s boundless tendency to take the simplest ideas and present them in language as tangled and convoluted as possible.” There is no more glittering example than the fatty babble of the typical safety briefing — a kind of fine print come to life, where twenty-five seconds of useful information is hammered into eight minutes of rigmarole so weighed down with extraneous language that the crew may as well be talking Urdu or speaking in tongues.

Instead, the demo should be a quick, bullet-point tutorial of the essentials, one of which needs to be a clear, no-questions-asked admonition to leave your belongings behind in the event of an evacuation.

I’m pleased to learn that Karen Walker, editor of Air Transport World, the industry’s most important trade publication, feels much the way I do. The October issue of ATW includes an editorial from Walker that echoes much of what I’ve been saying over the years.

For the full story, see my website here...

www.askthepilot.com

Cheers,
Patrick Smith
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's more than just the safety demo. They need to rethink their whole baggage handling and security.

As it stands if we have to leave our carry-ons in an evacuation there's a big question mark about whether we will get our stuff back or compensation if we don't.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I always keep my passport in my pocket, everything else is backed up and insured.

It's just a matter of time before this sort of selfishness kills people.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:55 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Can't stand the safety videos...why? They're too darn long (often b/c stupid lighthearted elements are thrown into them to make them unnecessarily lengthy).

Do the safety demo in the aisles... three minutes later, you're done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.