Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

QZ: You can rent an entire home on Airbnb for the price of a hotel room in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QZ: You can rent an entire home on Airbnb for the price of a hotel room in the US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

A report released this week finds that renting an entire home on Airbnb costs about the same as a single hotel room in the home-sharing site’s 20 biggest US markets. On average, the daily rate for an Airbnb rental was $160.47 compared to $163.90 for a hotel room. In many of those cities—especially expensive ones like New York and San Francisco—Airbnb is also significantly cheaper.

http://qz.com/779121/airbnb-vs-hotel...-a-hotel-room/
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Airbnb hosts can cancel the reservation at any time - even as the guest arrives at the airport of the destination city. That's why for business and family trips I cannot recommend Airbnb.
If you are young, flexible, always connected to the internet and don't mind to get your rented apartment cancelled away under your nose - then go for it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Airbnb hosts can cancel the reservation at any time - even as the guest arrives at the airport of the destination city. That's why for business and family trips I cannot recommend Airbnb.
If you are young, flexible, always connected to the internet and don't mind to get your rented apartment cancelled away under your nose - then go for it.
some businesses (hotels/guestrooms/hostels/actual vacation properties) do put their overflow rooms on airbnb... probably less risk with those

but yeah, I agree that airbnb is risky. Have had cancellations (or hosts who don't properly block out their calendar when you request), but were able to find alternatives
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Another thing to consider is that in some countries AirBnB stays are not recognized as accommodation cost by the tax authorities lacking a valid VAT invoice. So for a business a no-go.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

these kinds of "averages" mean literally nothing, but industry keeps using them...

(at least it makes sense for city/country tourism/etc to use city/country averages)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.