Search

USA Today: Hotels embrace keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
USA Today: Hotels embrace keyless entry

Hotel companies are starting to conclude that guestroom key cards are no longer the key to customer satisfaction.

The largest hotel companies in the world are experimenting with technology that allows guests to use their smartphones to open the doors to their rooms, bypassing the front desk upon arrival.

Many of the hotels require guests to become members of their loyalty programs in order to use keyless entry. The functionality is also tied to mobile check-in on the hotel’s app.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ntry/88625622/
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I don't mind this but it does offer the problem of what do you do if your battery is dead or if there is a glitch with the app? A keycard is much simpler and isn't all that much trouble to carry. Personally I like RFID cards best. I rarely leave my room without my wallet at if my hands are full I can just put my pocket up against the sensor without having to put things down.

Security wise I don't think its a big deal because anyone will to go to that much trouble can already do so with a key/card/RFID/whatever.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I always pick up a keycard at the front desk as a back up to my phone, just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.