Wiki Posts
Search

CNN: Best and worst passports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:36 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Efrem
No missing zero. A US passport lets you into 174 countries without a visa. A German passport lets you into 177. Those are the numbers in the original article. If they're wrong, they're wrong, but CPRich cited the article correctly, and they're not likely to be off by a factor of 10.

That said, it's unlikely that the list for Germany is the U.S. list plus three. There's surely a great deal of overlap, but I suspect that some countries allow U.S. visitors without visas but not Germans, and other countries (three more) allow German visitors without visas but not Yanks.
Sigh. I was (sarcastically) responding to this: "Anyone know the 3 countries that like Germans and not Americans?"
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Sigh. I was (sarcastically) responding to this: "Anyone know the 3 countries that like Germans and not Americans?"
I thought that was rather obvious. Since your second sentence started with "As for the visa requirements..."
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I think that counting the countries you can travel to without a visa, is too simple.

Taking into account how long the passport stays valid and how it is perceived abroad is much more important (to me at least).
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I think that counting the countries you can travel to without a visa, is too simple.

Taking into account how long the passport stays valid and how it is perceived abroad is much more important (to me at least).
Or, in the post-H.R. 158 (VWP enhancements) world, whether that passport invalidates the eVisa/ESTA privileges that one's dual nationality passport is ordinarily entitled to. For that matter, one could also look at how frequently a given passport tends be suspended or revoked over trivial matters, like attending a sporting event intended for the opposite sex (Iran) or accumulating a tax debt that exceeds your lifetime earnings simply because you simply didn't know you were required to disclose bank accounts in your foreign country of residence (USA).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:02 pm

That's one of the best article from CNN. I never knew that Czech Republic and Slovakia is in the list of best passports. I'm glad to see this long list.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WorldLux

The more complex a rating system, the more subjective the balancing of various measures to come up with a composite score for ranking purposes.

I'm curious which country allows easier entry to German passport users than to Swedish passport users.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Chase UR, National Emerald Club, Hertz Gold Plus
I think the best passport is one that gets you into most countries that you're most likely to visit (for tourism) without a visa. The absolute number is irrelevant because it considers the likelihood of someone traveling to London is the same as Kabul.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:36 pm

I actually started working on a website where the user enters their country of residence, the country they would like to visit, and then the computer returns whether they will need a visa. I got tired of coding it but if there's any interest I'll finish the project!
Old May 6, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Chase UR, National Emerald Club, Hertz Gold Plus
Originally Posted by warrenbisch
I actually started working on a website where the user enters their country of residence, the country they would like to visit, and then the computer returns whether they will need a visa. I got tired of coding it but if there's any interest I'll finish the project!
Isn't that the same as what VisaHQ does?
Old May 6, 2016, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by kooke
Isn't that the same as what VisaHQ does?
Several airlines offer similar tools which cover all nationalities. I use Emirates one here:

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...uirements.aspx
Old May 7, 2016, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
Several airlines offer similar tools which cover all nationalities. I use Emirates one here:

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...uirements.aspx
The page information isn't up-to-date, though. Just had a look and it still says that Europeans need a visa for Indonesia and still lists the $35 fee.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
The page information isn't up-to-date, though. Just had a look and it still says that Europeans need a visa for Indonesia and still lists the $35 fee.
It uses Timatic data, which is what the airlines use. I didn't try all Euro nations, but for the ones I did it said no visa required for visits of up to 30 days, which seems to tie in with what it says on the UK embassy site.

Is this incorrect or out of date?
Old May 7, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
It uses Timatic data, which is what the airlines use. I didn't try all Euro nations, but for the ones I did it said no visa required for visits of up to 30 days, which seems to tie in with what it says on the UK embassy site.
Guess you're right. But the wording is a bit ambiguous.

Visa
Visa required.
Visa Exemptions:
Passengers with a British passport for a maximum stay of 30 days.
Then it goes on to state the fee for a 30 day visa. But that is indeed technically correct, since this one allows you to extend your stay for another 30 days while the visa-less 30 day stay cannot be extended as far as I know.

Should have read it more carefully.

And you still cannot cross land borders without a visa (such as on Timor).
Old May 7, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Damn, I've only got 3 of the top 10. But this time next year I should have a 4th
Old May 7, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
It's pretty irrelevant with lists like this. There's cases when a passport of Turkey, Kenya, Russia, Qatar etc. would be more convinient for country hunting. Yes, I can certainly apply for a visa, but the visa policies are at times absurd or just getting that application sorted out is a PIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.