Search

NPR: Head-Scratcher Alert: Jet Fuel Prices Are Falling And Airfares Are Rising

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
NPR: Head-Scratcher Alert: Jet Fuel Prices Are Falling And Airfares Are Rising

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...res-are-rising

Yes, I know that COGS has little to do with fares. However, if I were a creditor stiffed after an airline bankruptcy, I would be kinda pissed about this. I guess airlines have no obligation to pay off the stiffed creditors with their current profits (naive question I know)?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Beven12S
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...res-are-rising

Yes, I know that COGS has little to do with fares. However, if I were a creditor stiffed after an airline bankruptcy, I would be kinda pissed about this. I guess airlines have no obligation to pay off the stiffed creditors with their current profits (naive question I know)?
Where's the muckraking when they point out that costs are lower yet they charge more? The airlines are the first to cry poverty when fuel costs go up.

The big problem is that anticompetitive mergers were allowed, the biggest contribution to the increased prices.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Where's the muckraking when they point out that costs are lower yet they charge more? The airlines are the first to cry poverty when fuel costs go up.

The big problem is that anticompetitive mergers were allowed, the biggest contribution to the increased prices.
Fair enough. I would be much obliged if the moderator could kindly change the title to "NPR reports: fuel costs low, fares rising" Totally agree about the mergers. Shame on the FTC.

I still would be PO'ed if I were a stiffed creditor. No recourse for them, right? I guess the silver lining is that airlines can now afford to pay them. I guess it's naive to think an airline might give little bit in current negotiations with a stiffed creditor?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Beven12S
Fair enough. I would be much obliged if the moderator could kindly change the title to "NPR reports: fuel costs low, fares rising" Totally agree about the mergers. Shame on the FTC.

I still would be PO'ed if I were a stiffed creditor. No recourse for them, right? I guess the silver lining is that airlines can now afford to pay them. I guess it's naive to think an airline might give little bit in current negotiations with a stiffed creditor?
It's my understanding that creditors get some percentage of what they are owed, but that is limited to whatever is negotiated/decided by the bankruptcy court. I don't know that creditors can come back for a better deal later if the reorganized company is subsequently doing much better.

Any bankruptcy lawyers out there who can comment from a more educated standpoint?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Never mind stiffed creditors, why are all those various surcharges imposed when oil was $100/bbl still there when it has been below $50 for over half of a year?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Never mind stiffed creditors, why are all those various surcharges imposed when oil was $100/bbl still there when it has been below $50 for over half of a year?
Not that I'm qualified to speak for Tchiowa but I think he would say "because they can" and "all profitable companies do this" or something to that effect.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by heraclitus
To try to maximize carrier profits and to try to minimize some carrier costs -- something that is easier to do when governmental waivers have been granted to carriers like they have been.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The airlines are the first to cry poverty when fuel costs go up.
+1

When oli prices go up airlines wanted to be treated like THEY are the commodity, when oil prices drop they say "we're a business here to make money like any other business....."
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:40 pm

The economics writer James Surowieki, had a really interesting piece in the New Yorker recently about the market's seemingly inverted response to low oil prices. This would maybe, partly, explain why airfares have risen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.