Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Fox News: Could airlines soon be required to let families fly together?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fox News: Could airlines soon be required to let families fly together?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ideally there should be an option to pay to reserve seats at booking

seems some airlines do not offer this, sometimes except to elites
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Well it's not a choice anymore.
From The Hill:
Article about add-ons to the TSA extra funding bill...
"Airlines now have to ensure that children 13 years old or younger are seated adjacent to an adult or older child traveling with them, at no additional cost."
That's not going to solve it.

Adjacent means within one row, or across one aisle, the way it's defined elsewhere anyway. That won't be enough for many of those commenting on here.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
And some airlines don't open all seats for reservation until a few hours prior to departure in order to catch exactly these issues. If an airline wants to sort this out, there is a way of doing this. Now they have to, and this is good ^.

Last edited by Scrooge McDuck; Jul 18, 2016 at 3:31 am
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by PTravel
For what it's worth, if you're traveling for a time-sensitive emergency -- illness, funeral, etc. -- I'll always accommodate you. Any other reason? Not my problem; talk to the airline, plan ahead, drive, take the train, or just don't go if you think you have a superior right to my seat.
What about TSA related misses, delay related re-bookings, ...? That list is about endless as there are more than enough reasons why this was not possible in the very first place even when there was the will to do so.

Honestly, I just don't buy that you never missed a flight because you got stuck in security - even if you had more than enough time for that - or that you never missed any connecting flight because the in-coming flight was late.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Nice to see the airlines being forced into doing something which should be common sense.

As to the poster who said he would expect the unruly 6 year old to be dealt with by the FA, I think that kind of action would rebound on you rather than the kid. You were given the option of moving, you chose not to, these are the consequences.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
What about TSA related misses, delay related re-bookings, ...? That list is about endless as there are more than enough reasons why this was not possible in the very first place even when there was the will to do so.

Honestly, I just don't buy that you never missed a flight because you got stuck in security - even if you had more than enough time for that - or that you never missed any connecting flight because the in-coming flight was late.
Why is it so hard to believe? I've never missed a flight. Not because of anything.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Nice to see the airlines being forced into doing something which should be common sense.
Not much harm in it going forward, but it would have been nicer before to see parents take responsibility for their children, even when it costs them a few pounds/dollars/shekels.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
Not much harm in it going forward, but it would have been nicer before to see parents take responsibility for their children, even when it costs them a few pounds/dollars/shekels.
i am sure most parents are cognizant of the seating arrangements they need to make but, as with all walks of life, there are some idiots out there who have the entitlement mentality. Unfortunately, they end up getting us all tarred with the same brush.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Again, not my problem. Just because it's not your fault doesn't make it my problem. If you can't cope with the exigencies of flying with your children, then don't fly with them.

No, I've never missed a flight because I got stuck in security. Regardless, that's not the point. Whether it's mistiming the security line, getting a flat on the way to the airport, or the airline switching your seats, your problem is your problem, not the problem of strangers who want nothing more than than to not burden anyone else with their own problems.

I don't understand why people don't get this. You have no right to impose on me just because you have a problem. You can certainly ask, and if I think your problem is compelling, I'll gladly help you out. However, when you're asking me a favor, I get to decide whether or not your reason for asking is compelling enough to justify my granting your request. As I said, I consider flying because of a funeral or a need for medical treatment to be a compelling reason; you can have my seat as well as any other assistance I can give you. Whatever other reasons you may have for flying -- visiting relatives, going on vacation, whatever -- I don't find compelling. Either go with the flow, wait for your kids to be old enough to fly unsupervised, pay extra for seats together, or just don't go.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As to the poster who said he would expect the unruly 6 year old to be dealt with by the FA, I think that kind of action would rebound on you rather than the kid. You were given the option of moving, you chose not to, these are the consequences.
I respectfully disagree. I'd point out, too, that children NEED to be seated by their parents for their own safety. Young children need to be supervised not just because of their potential nuisance value, but to make sure they don't do anything that can harm themselves. However, it's no one else's responsibility to supervise them but the parent.

FWIW, I've encountered parents who tried to play the, "then you look after them," card a couple of times. Each time required FA intervention, and each time it was the parent and child who were moved, not me.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i am sure most parents are cognizant of the seating arrangements they need to make but, as with all walks of life, there are some idiots out there who have the entitlement mentality. Unfortunately, they end up getting us all tarred with the same brush.
I agree with you completely. The overwhelming majority of parents that I see flying are responsible and considerate and should be welcomed on board by everyone. It's the small minority of entitlement demanders who ruin it for everybody.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
Well it's not a choice anymore.
From The Hill:
Article about add-ons to the TSA extra funding bill...
"Airlines now have to ensure that children 13 years old or younger are seated adjacent to an adult or older child traveling with them, at no additional cost."

“Fortunately, that usually happens, because of the goodness of the passengers,” said Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), ranking member on the Transportation Committee. “But have you run into passengers from time-to-time who say, ‘No, I’m not going to move my seat’? That’s going to be law now.”
Isn't this setting up a parent to be able to game the system? After all, they could book one seat for themselves in first, then book their kid(s) in coach, then demand that the kid(s) get upgraded to first to be by them.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:11 pm

Long past time for this. The current situation, where airlines basically force a bunch of uncomfortable interactions between strangers to deal with what should be an open and shut issue of a parent and a kid sitting together is pretty bad. Far better to put it back on the airline and have them deal directly with any affected passengers who might need to be moved to accommodate the family.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by George Purcell
Long past time for this. The current situation, where airlines basically force a bunch of uncomfortable interactions between strangers to deal with what should be an open and shut issue of a parent and a kid sitting together is pretty bad. Far better to put it back on the airline and have them deal directly with any affected passengers who might need to be moved to accommodate the family.
Sitting next to a 6 year old is less uncomfortable for me than sitting middle row between 2 pax who weigh between 250-300 pounds.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Sitting next to a 6 year old is less uncomfortable for me than sitting middle row between 2 pax who weigh between 250-300 pounds.
I am sure you could snuggle up, put your head on their shoulder and get some quality shut eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.