Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Fox News: Could airlines soon be required to let families fly together?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fox News: Could airlines soon be required to let families fly together?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
How about requiring proximate seating of one parent per underage child?
^^^

This. Only ONE parent needs to be seated with the child/children. The whole family doesn't need to be. This should make the strain easier on airlines because they would only be responsible for two seats instead many many more.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
They're not. The problems are only caused by late booking families who think they have a God given right to sit next to each other.

Then don't rearrange. You sit where your ticket says you're seated. Simple.

Earlier you stated that most flights are near full or full these days. So the airline's goal of maximizing revenue is typically attained yes? So "individuals" aren't messing anything up.
Feel free to continue ignoring reality, but the fact that there is even discussion of Congress getting involved should give you a clue about the scope of the problem.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Feel free to continue ignoring reality, but the fact that there is even discussion of Congress getting involved should give you a clue about the scope of the problem.
Congress also thought about getting involved in forcing airlines not to charge for checked bags. If Congress getting involved in something is your barometer for the seriousness of a problem, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Congress also thought about getting involved in forcing airlines not to charge for checked bags. If Congress getting involved in something is your barometer for the seriousness of a problem, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
I'm sure that the least productive congress in decades, which also happens to be one of the most aviation-friendly congresses in years, will put this right at the top of the agenda. /s
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
And why should a selfish single passenger be allowed to cause problems for both the airline and other passengers?
How is a single passenger being selfish? By flying alone? By wanting to choose a seat?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
How is a single passenger being selfish? By flying alone? By wanting to choose a seat?
Apparently by not voluntarily taking an open middle seat to clear space for families.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
As a parent, I want to be able to sit next to my 6 year old daughter ,if that's a problem for you chaps, tough. I've paid enough for the ticket, the airline should seat us together.

Alternatively, you can sit next to her and keep her amused and/or put up with me hovering while I check on her.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:21 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Exclamation

The history of threads on this topic on FlyerTalk is not encouraging; most degenerate and end up being locked, often with participants finding themselves with a timeout from FlyerTalk.

I have removed unnecessarily personalized/un-civil posts (or responses thereto); further such are not acceptable. Nor are posts that are simply political in nature; the OMNI/PR forum exists for those.

Thanks for your cooperation.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
How about requiring proximate seating of one parent per underage child?
That's the most sensible solution if you are going to make any changes (although I see this bill as a solution in search of a problem). You don't need to sit together as a family of 4, 6 or 8.

But the actual solution already exists: Reserve your seats in advance. The airlines might charge you to do so. They have that right. You have a right not to pay for it and hope for the best. That leaves you at the mercy of those who do.

Sure, it's a nuisance fee. There are lots of nuisance fees in the world. I'm not going to let Congress legislate them all away.

I understand that not everyone in the world is a FTer who has tons of experience flying, but the airlines give more than adequate notice that if you don't select your seat, you run the risk of not getting a desirable one. What seems to be the sticking point for most people is that they don't want to have to pay for an assigned seat. [redacted OMNI/PR material]
Mike

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 13, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Last call....

I just deleted another uncivil and overly personalized post whose points could have been made without the snark.

And this is not the place to offer political opinions about Congress and business. Take that to OMNI/PR, please.

cblaisd, Moderator
Travel News
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
As a parent, I want to be able to sit next to my 6 year old daughter ,if that's a problem for you chaps, tough. I've paid enough for the ticket, the airline should seat us together.

Alternatively, you can sit next to her and keep her amused and/or put up with me hovering while I check on her.
Then pay what it takes to pick seats at booking, don't expect to simply show up and demand it. Don't expect sympathy from me if you tried to do it cheap and it didn't work--but I'll be inclined to help if you're the victim of an IRROPS.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Then pay what it takes to pick seats at booking, don't expect to simply show up and demand it. Don't expect sympathy from me if you tried to do it cheap and it didn't work--but I'll be inclined to help if you're the victim of an IRROPS.
agreed
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
And this is why I choose BA. I pay more for the ticket (£100 more per ticket than Delta) but, they take a common sense approach and deliberately seat families together.^
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Having kids of my own, I do understand the problem of entertaining them on a (longer) flight. Keeping them "alone" is a pain for them - as well as the the other poor passengers having the luck of sitting next to them

Honestly, I don't understand why the airlines are having such a problem with this very reasonable request. Whenever I do book I flight, I do have to give personal details, such as birthdates. And I always book all family members together in one booking. So the airlines knows about families and kids. Here in Europe, each airlines I have seen so far was sitting us together automatically, even though in not all cases we were able to pre-book seats (even for money).
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Having kids of my own, I do understand the problem of entertaining them on a (longer) flight. Keeping them "alone" is a pain for them - as well as the the other poor passengers having the luck of sitting next to them

Honestly, I don't understand why the airlines are having such a problem with this very reasonable request. Whenever I do book I flight, I do have to give personal details, such as birthdates. And I always book all family members together in one booking. So the airlines knows about families and kids. Here in Europe, each airlines I have seen so far was sitting us together automatically, even though in not all cases we were able to pre-book seats (even for money).
Take Southwest for example. They have an open seating policy, first ones in get to pick their seats. They board in groups A, pre-board with small kids, B, C. If a family is in C group, there is almost 0 chance they will be sitting together. Yet they will run front to back, back to front, trying to strongarm people into switching seats. It's pathetic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.