Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

CNN: Legislating minimum seat width/pitch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum

A U.S. Representative has proposed minimum standards for airline seats, basing his argument more on safety during an evacuation than comfort. Full article on cnn.com here.

(I urge posters not to digress into their opinions of the role of government in regulating private enterprise, lest this thread be shut down or moved to OMNI/PR.)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not as though this requires legislation. If it's what consumers want, air carriers will provide it. But, they don't. They want cheap seats. That translates into more passengers crammed into the same number of cubic feet and thus less width/pitch.

Why do people purchase Y in cramped aircraft which they hate when F is available? Because it's cheaper?

Why do they purchase "basic" fares with no seat assignments when they could book aisle seats forward? Because it's cheaper?

Why aren't there two full meals served in Y on TCON flights when there are on TATL? Because consumers want cheaper fares.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The proposed amendment didn't make it out of committee

http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...577.1424656132
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
It's not as though this requires legislation. If it's what consumers want, air carriers will provide it. But, they don't. They want cheap seats. That translates into more passengers crammed into the same number of cubic feet and thus less width/pitch.

Why do people purchase Y in cramped aircraft which they hate when F is available? Because it's cheaper?

Why do they purchase "basic" fares with no seat assignments when they could book aisle seats forward? Because it's cheaper?

Why aren't there two full meals served in Y on TCON flights when there are on TATL? Because consumers want cheaper fares.
^^
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AA
This is just political grandstanding.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I can see the safety angle, and there are already regulations about seat pitch at exit rows.

Probably a faster way to get airlines to stop the squeeze would be to adjust the regulation on minimum number of FAs - perhaps 1:40 instead of 1:50.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not as though this requires legislation. If it's what consumers want, air carriers will provide it. But, they don't. They want cheap seats.
I don't.

And if there weren't super cramped, super cheap seats available, consumers would adjust.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.