Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Discussion underway again in the TalkBoard forum about whether to close Travel News

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion underway again in the TalkBoard forum about whether to close Travel News

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

There has been discussion about closing this forum and moving threads that exist here to either TravelBuzz! OMNI or elsewhere. Feedback from those who use this forum would be much appreciated in the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ravelbuzz.html
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I no longer participate in the Talk Board forum since the public attacks on one specific Talk Board member by others - just not a forum I want to be part of any longer. My views on the Travel News forum have not changed and have already been posted in that forum.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
I no longer participate in the Talk Board forum since the public attacks on one specific Talk Board member by others - just not a forum I want to be part of any longer.
Understandably

My views on the Travel News forum have not changed and have already been posted in that forum.
Thank you, Tom.

It is a dispiriting thing to see all the ad hominem attacks in that forum.

Should the Talkboard shut down this forum, so be it. In the meantime I shall continue to seek to curate well what is the "periodicals room" of the FlyerTalk "library," and appreciate those who post interesting general travel news articles here that they would like their fellow members' thoughts on.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I think the source of a lot of the angst is thinking of this in terms of "shutting down" a forum.

Think of it in terms as merging, combining, and re-naming a forum, and some of the angst should be mitigated.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Think of it in terms as merging, combining, and re-naming a forum, and some of the angst should be mitigated.
That's not exactly what's on the table. Last year the Talk Board member that proposed this forum be shut down wouldn't even put it up for a vote. Why was that? It had pages and pages of discussion and yet no vote by the Talk Board. Could it be that not a single Talk Board member supported his proposal? I challenged him several times to put it out for a vote. Now that member is no longer on the Talk Board but still on his quest to shut this forum down.

Merging Travel News, which contains news articles of interest, into a forum that contains threads on far-flung topics having nothing to do with the news of the day, is a dissservice to FT viewers. The forums have very different goals. Here's a few from the forum that some want Travel News merged into:

housekeeping cluttering the bed

How can I watch tomorrow's NFL playoff games?

Shower in lounge, will towel be provided?

This is the forum you want Travel News moved to? Doesn't work for me. I won't be posting any news articles in Travel Buzz.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
...and that's why I tend to stay completely away from TB issues. You're intractable; others are intractable. IJAFIBB.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Should the Talkboard shut down this forum, so be it.
Just a minor point: a majority vote by members of TalkBoard to shut down the Travel News forum is not necessarily an automatic death sentence, as it would only be a recommendation.

The ultimate decision lies with the community director of FlyerTalk.
Originally Posted by tom911
Merging Travel News, which contains news articles of interest, into a forum that contains threads on far-flung topics having nothing to do with the news of the day, is a dissservice to FT viewers.
Although I remain keeping an open mind and reading all sides of this debate, we share similar opinions pertaining to the fate of the Travel News forum; and at this time, I have no propensity to vote on a motion against it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Just a minor point: a majority vote by members of TalkBoard to shut down the Travel News forum is not necessarily an automatic death sentence, as it would only be a recommendation.

The ultimate decision lies with the community director of FlyerTalk.Although I remain keeping an open mind and reading all sides of this debate, we share similar opinions pertaining to the fate of the Travel News forum; and at this time, I have no propensity to vote on a motion against it.
You say you have no propensity to vote on a motion against it. So you would abstain if it came to a vote???
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
You say you have no propensity to vote on a motion against it. So you would abstain if it came to a vote???
No.

What I meant to say is that at this time, I would vote in favor of keeping this forum open.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie
No.

What I meant to say is that at this time, I would vote in favor of keeping this forum open.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I actually quite like the Travel News, as it's a place for the more esoteric stories which don't necessarily make sense in other forums.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
There has been discussion about closing this forum and moving threads that exist here to either TravelBuzz! OMNI or elsewhere. Feedback from those who use this forum would be much appreciated in the following thread:

A WikiPost has been created in the discussion linked above so that FlyerTalk members who are interested in this issue want to know the basic reasons for support or opposition to the fate of the Travel News forum without having to wade through the entire debate.

Please contribute to it if you believe that any objective data which can be valuable is missing.

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Feedback from those who use this forum would be much appreciated in the following thread:

Given the rule against cross-posting, I'll make my comments here.

I used to be a fairly regular contributor to Travel News. My late father was a reporter and at one point early on I considered it as a career, so it’s fair to describe me as something of a news junkie as well as a travel junkie.

What I appreciate about this forum is its utility as a one-spot aggregator of travel news, pieces connected to travel or the travel industry that some outlet decided to publish. I find it intrinsically interesting to find out what is considered “newsworthy” - and sometimes downright amusing when the information is inaccurate or badly out of date - and I run across articles I might never see elsewhere.

For example, I’ve been following with interest a recent spate of incidents in which crew and passengers have been injured in sudden turbulence. I see that an article posted about an injured Vietnam Airlines FA has been moved to the “Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines” Forum.

I never would have run across it in that other forum. However, the link has remained up on the Travel News forum. OTOH somebody who subscribes to the other forum can see it also. To me, that’s the best of both worlds.

It definitely requires the moderator to work harder, but I appreciate the effort and as long as there are moderators willing to take on the task, I don’t see the harm in retaining the forum.

Furthermore, in some instances, e.g. the horrific 1977 Tenerife Airport disaster that involved two airlines in one location, a news forum seems IMHO the most logical placement.

YMMV
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Fredd
What I appreciate about this forum is its utility as a one-spot aggregator of travel news, pieces connected to travel or the travel industry that some outlet decided to publish. I find it intrinsically interesting to find out what is considered “newsworthy” - and sometimes downright amusing when the information is inaccurate or badly out of date - and I run across articles I might never see elsewhere.

For example, I’ve been following with interest a recent spate of incidents in which crew and passengers have been injured in sudden turbulence. I see that an article posted about an injured Vietnam Airlines FA has been moved to the “Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines” Forum.

I never would have run across it in that other forum. However, the link has remained up on the Travel News forum. OTOH somebody who subscribes to the other forum can see it also. To me, that’s the best of both worlds.
Exactly!

This sums up my inion on the subject.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Understandably

Thank you, Tom.

It is a dispiriting thing to see all the ad hominem attacks in that forum.

Should the Talkboard shut down this forum, so be it. In the meantime I shall continue to seek to curate well what is the "periodicals room" of the FlyerTalk "library," and appreciate those who post interesting general travel news articles here that they would like their fellow members' thoughts on.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
What does ab hominum mean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.