Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the Pilot: BA 777 in Vegas: How NOT to Evacuate a Burning Plane

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'd be interested in knowing exactly how many lives have ever actually been lost in aircraft evacuation incidents as a result of passengers carrying luggage out.

My thinking is the number is less than ten.

I agree not many, no doubt that the number is a tiny fraction of those injured by bags going down the emergency slide. But you are going to feel pretty peeved if you are the unlucky one who dies due to the utter utter selfishness of some moron who thinks their spare shirt and a paper back novel are more important than your life.

Of course on the flip side the aforementioned moron may also die therefore earning a Darwin Award for services to improve the gene pool.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester
I agree not many, no doubt that the number is a tiny fraction of those injured by bags going down the emergency slide. But you are going to feel pretty peeved if you are the unlucky one who dies due to the utter utter selfishness of some moron who thinks their spare shirt and a paper back novel are more important than your life.
Conversely, I could be pretty peeved if I'm prevented from carrying out critical medicines from a beached aircraft by a rule that exists, essentially, to protect against imaginary risks.

Bottom line: there's a lot of anger being voiced here over a behavior that I've seen no indication has ever harmed anyone.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
There have been many people die on airplanes due to being unable to evacuate in time. I don't know of any statistics which break down the reasons why they were unable to evacuate in time but that is addressed in each individual accident report.

If there is a fire, the cabin does not remain survivable for very long.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:30 pm

Conversely, I could be pretty peeved if I'm prevented from carrying out critical medicines from a beached aircraft by a rule that exists, essentially, to protect against imaginary risks.
imaginary risk

"Critical" medicines can be replaced, your life - and more importantly others delayed by your self importance - aren't.

Do you have ambulance chasers on speeddial?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR
imaginary risk

"Critical" medicines can be replaced, your life - and more importantly others delayed by your self importance - aren't.

Do you have ambulance chasers on speeddial?
Like I asked, did anyone die as a result of a passenger taking a moment to retrieve a bag to take it with him? Was anyone injured as a direct result of such an act?

As for "critical medicines" - just try to refill something in Podunk, Iowa if you don't have the scrip with you.

The idea that, "getting luggage" = death, is just absurd.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:14 am

Until it happens.

It may already have happened, but no-one's around to tell.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Like I asked, did anyone die as a result of a passenger taking a moment to retrieve a bag to take it with him? Was anyone injured as a direct result of such an act?

As for "critical medicines" - just try to refill something in Podunk, Iowa if you don't have the scrip with you.

Believe it or not, there are pharmacies everywhere, even in Podunk Iowa. All it takes is a call to your doctor to phone in the prescription.

With any truly critical medicine that can't wait a day or two to refill, some amount of it should be carried directly on your person while traveling, which is what I do. There are various products out there to make doing so easier.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Believe it or not, there are pharmacies everywhere, even in Podunk Iowa. All it takes is a call to your doctor to phone in the prescription.

With any truly critical medicine that can't wait a day or two to refill, some amount of it should be carried directly on your person while traveling, which is what I do. There are various products out there to make doing so easier.
Agreed. If losing it would be dangerous it should be on your person.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by 84fiero

Fewer pharmacies in Podunk, Thirdworldcountry, and that's only after you successfully manage to get into the country without a passport and you somehow manage to get access to $$ - for the necessary doctor visit, transportation and the pharmacy.

For that matter, I don't even want to think about how long it would have taken me, a US citizen, to clear US customs/immigration if I had emerged from that SFO crash with no phone, no $$, no meds, no family or friends locally, and most importantly, no passport.

Last edited by chollie; Sep 26, 2015 at 12:54 pm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by chollie
For that matter, I don't even want to think about how long it would have taken me, a US citizen, to clear US customs/immigration if I had emerged from that SFO crash with no phone, no $$, no meds, no family or friends locally, and most importantly, no passport.
If you have medication that is so critical to take that it's a life-and-death matter and are unlucky enough to be in a plane crash, then the thing to do would be to declare your emergency medical need to the numerous first responders that will no doubt quickly descend upon you.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Perhaps so, and it would have no doubt been very tedious, if not actively unpleasant. However, were you have delayed the evacuation and by your actions contributed to one or more deaths, you would have the rest of your life to consider the merits of your actions. If you have any kind of conscience, that would be torture far more severe than hanging around at SFO immigration for a few hours.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: MP
I agree that it's a sensible guideline everyone should follow.

However, I still feel like if it were me I'd feel at least a bit reluctant to leave my $8000 camera gears in the fire....

Don't get me wrong, I'd still condemn the people who take their bags. I just have a slight sympathy for them in certain cases.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:18 pm

It should be a criminal offence to remove any luggage from an airplane during an ordered evacuation. Anyone doing so should be immediately arrested on the tarmac. I'm so sick and tired of selfish people putting others at risk.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Steve M
If you have medication that is so critical to take that it's a life-and-death matter and are unlucky enough to be in a plane crash, then the thing to do would be to declare your emergency medical need to the numerous first responders that will no doubt quickly descend upon you.
@:-) that would do the trick

Originally Posted by pon18n
I agree that it's a sensible guideline everyone should follow.

However, I still feel like if it were me I'd feel at least a bit reluctant to leave my $8000 camera gears in the fire....

Don't get me wrong, I'd still condemn the people who take their bags. I just have a slight sympathy for them in certain cases.
Just make sure you have good insurance on the equipment and you won't really have to worry about it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by shaner82
It should be a criminal offence to remove any luggage from an airplane during an ordered evacuation. Anyone doing so should be immediately arrested on the tarmac. I'm so sick and tired of selfish people putting others at risk.
I agree. Men should keep passport, wallet, keys, phone, quantity of essential medications, etc...in a small pouch like a toilet bag (I use the bag from a BA F amenity kit), preferably one with a wrist strap so you don't lose it on the slide. Ladies I don't mind if you hang on to your purse. That's it. End of story.

Oh, resurrecting the thread because I just saw this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-...s-crash-at-sfo

Note person with roll-aboard running past truck. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.