Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Wired: The (new) longest scheduled commercial flight

Wired: The (new) longest scheduled commercial flight

Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Plat., UA Plat., HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Panama City was the dirtiest airport terminal I've ever been in.

Waiting for a connection there was interesting because the gate area was full of people, all of whom were standing. Nobody wanted to sit in the available seating because it was so disgustingly filthy.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:17 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CoolMike
Panama City was the dirtiest airport terminal I've ever been in.

Waiting for a connection there was interesting because the gate area was full of people, all of whom were standing. Nobody wanted to sit in the available seating because it was so disgustingly filthy.
PTY is awful...probably because it reminds me of a standard issue US airport. Terrible ventilation and pathetic food options too.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question

Taking a post from my post in related thread EK to launch PTY - Longest flight in the world:
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
I also wondered how much of the ME3 vs US3 plus UA's rearing V3 from infancy (via pmCO) had to do with this route, even if I imagine it'll be profitable regardless. Smart foray into Central America from far far away ...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Does anyone have any insight as to what's in the Panama City area to warrant such a long flight to the ME?
It's not just Panama City, but the connections it offers to the rest of the Americas.

Originally Posted by suranyi
I think Panama City is becoming a significant hub for Latin America, particularly because of Copa Airlines.
Yep. And as others have pointed out, there's the issue of no Transit-Without-Visa via the US any more. And, everyone that's a citizen of a country in North, Central, or South America, unless they're from the US, Canada, or Chile, needs a US visa to even transit via the US. In addition to being expensive and time-consuming to get, it's simply not available to many people. EK's new service will offer a convenient option for affected people traveling to anywhere in Europe, among other places.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
EK's new service will offer a convenient option for affected people traveling to anywhere in Europe, among other places.
Not sure about the convenient bit, when EK's European destinations are 6 hours or more plus transit time away from Dubai, going back in the direction you came.

Subcontinent, Central & SE Asia, SSA and ME are the targets.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure I see anybody flying EU - SA by flying East to fly West and making 2 connections.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:15 am

From what I read it seems Panama is the hub connecting north and south america. They are trying to tap into the american market more, not that they haven't done so yet.
Emirates knows they can beat any airline easily in terms of comfort and food.

Time will tell how profitable it is for them to have this route.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure I see anybody flying EU - SA by flying East to fly West and making 2 connections.
You'd be surprised if it's $300 cheaper than any other option, I know plenty of people who would happily suffer for that!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.