Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

LA Times: A fee to be the first to exit a plane? Many fliers are willing to pay it

LA Times: A fee to be the first to exit a plane? Many fliers are willing to pay it

Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

Charges for checked bags, entertainment, food and seats with extra legroom among other extras generated $38.1 billion for the world’s airlines in 2014, a 21% increase from the previous year, according to a report from IdeaWorks, a Wisconsin-based airline consulting firm.

But you can expect such revenue to continue to soar as airlines consider adopting even more fees.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...724-story.html
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
How on earth would they enforce that?

What if the person on the aisle didn't pay the fee but the couple in the middle and window seats did? Does the aisle passenger have to sit back down after letting the other people in the row out or does the couple who paid extra to deplane first need to climb over the aisle guy? Maybe aisle guy get's a discount because he was forced to stand up to accommodate other passengers BUT he has to swipe his CC before exiting the jet bridge

Last edited by Madone59; Jul 29, 2015 at 8:09 am Reason: Tpyo's
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, how do you enforce it??

I'd like to see it, though--let the speed demons pay extra, I don't fight the crowds anyway, if I could save a bit off my fare for my normal behavior I would be happy.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Aisle
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Are we talking about a flight to Gilligan's Isle?

In all seriousness, all these fees are way out of hand. I wouldn't pay a fee to get first off the plane. There is always that one person who will rudely knock you over or push their way to the front, no matter the circumstance.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Aisle
Yes, yes. My typo(s) aside this would be a crazy fee.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:03 am

"Up front" seats are already available for a price on easyJet, for exactly this reason, so it's not new.

Not 100% enforceable, or without it's flaws, but it works most of the time.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Madone59
How on earth would they enforce that?

What if the person on the aisle didn't pay the fee but the couple in the middle and window seats did? Does the aisle passenger have to sit back down after letting the other people in the row out or does the couple who paid extra to deplane first need to climb over the aisle guy? Maybe aisle guy get's a discount because he was forced to stand up to accommodate other passengers BUT he has to swipe his CC before exiting the jet bridge

Ejection seats would work. A special door would have to be added to the fuselage, but it could work.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Fees which encourage bad behavior by the airlines should not be legal. In this case, it would incentivize the airlines to slow down the exit process in order to annoy passengers into paying the fee.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Fees which encourage bad behavior by the airlines should not be legal. In this case, it would incentivize the airlines to slow down the exit process in order to annoy passengers into paying the fee.
I doubt it. Airlines are more profitable if they can turn around aircraft fast, other things equal. I doubt that they would want to be forced to lengthen MCTs and change their schedules to align with this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.