Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

The Atlantic: What Was the Most Significant Airplane Flight in History?

Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:42 am
Original Poster

"What Was the Most Significant Airplane Flight in History?" The Atlantic magazine is running a list.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...istory/395336/

They are taking submissions. My entry would be this one:

The most significant airplane flight in history was Pan Am's inaugural flight of the Boeing 747 in January, 1970. This was the aircraft that introduced the concept of affordable long-haul flying, and changed the face of global air travel more than any other plane in history.

Patrick Smith, author of Cockpit Confidential and host of www.askthepilot.com
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Jan 1, 1914 PIE-TPA. The first commercial flight gets my vote.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Mine would be around the same time, but different: the first flight in which someone in an airplane attacked someone or something on the ground by firing at them/it or dropping bombs on them/it, somewhere in World War I. That totally changed the face of warfare by doing things that could not be done before. Air travel did the same things that could be done before - moving people and cargo from A to B. It did them a lot faster, but the net effect of doing them usually didn't change much.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The most significant airplane flight in history? The first one, of course. Proved the concept. Opened the door.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The most significant airplane flight in history? The first one, of course. Proved the concept. Opened the door.
I'm curious what other people will post, but don't see how Wilbur and Orville aren't the most significant (I guess there are people who believe that the Wright brothers weren't the first)
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The true measure of significance is perhaps how soon, absent that particular flight, the same thing would have happened anyhow. On that basis, probably none of the "firsts" were all that significant - including the one I posted here in post #3. If those people hadn't done that thing at that time, someone else would have done essentially the same soon after. What does that leave? I don't knowl
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Efrem
The true measure of significance is perhaps how soon, absent that particular flight, the same thing would have happened anyhow. On that basis, probably none of the "firsts" were all that significant - including the one I posted here in post #3. If those people hadn't done that thing at that time, someone else would have done essentially the same soon after. What does that leave? I don't knowl
The Enola Gay? AA 11 ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.