Reload this Page >

Wired: New airplane seating proposal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wired: New airplane seating proposal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
This article on USA Today has a rendering, and it only gets worse.

If the rendering is accurate to the actual concept, the seats flip up like movie theater seats (or toilet seats, read into that what you will), and have no arm rests. They're also so tightly packed as to be even worse for evac safety than the sardine-cans that are currently being foisted upon us.

I certainly hope no airline ever even considers such a configuration. It would be accepted by many travelers, I'm sure, but I'll personally never set foot on a plane with such a layout.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by WillCAD
This article on USA Today has a rendering, and it only gets worse.

If the rendering is accurate to the actual concept, the seats flip up like movie theater seats (or toilet seats, read into that what you will), and have no arm rests. They're also so tightly packed as to be even worse for evac safety than the sardine-cans that are currently being foisted upon us.

I certainly hope no airline ever even considers such a configuration. It would be accepted by many travelers, I'm sure, but I'll personally never set foot on a plane with such a layout.
Oh my. I clicked on the link to this article and saw some drawings/patent application diagrams. Yuck. There is one cross-section of the Zodiac design that looks like 3 passengers on one side, 4 on the other!

I also got a chuckle from the last two, the overhead food conveyor belt, and the one that has the double-decker feel with little passenger cabins on top of each other. It actually looks like that could be kinda neat, a la some of the J suites on international carriers. Of course, if airlines every adopted that one, we all know they'd shrink seat pitch to ~30 inches, and probably cap headroom. Shoot, they could make some of them 6 inches taller and sell them as "premium economy, for a less claustrophobic feel."
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
More room and likely cheaper seats. Of course people would complain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.