Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

The Atlantic: the Concorde ("It saved time.")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Supersonic Airplanes and the Age of Irrational Technology
Was the Concorde a triumph of modern engineering, a metaphor for misplaced 20th-century values, or both?
Link

Reminiscences and discussion of the Aérospatiale-BAC supersonic Concorde by an author who opens up the box of his grandfather's passports and documents. His grandfather was in global sales, and flew the Concorde monthly; he was one who had "his" favourite seat (1B aisle) and regularly received gifts, such as flasks of liquor, etc.

But the greatest gift of all was time. From 1976 through 2003 you could travel LHR -JFK in 3.5 hours, put in a day's work and go home.

“The only reason I was able to fly so much was because of Concorde,” my grandpa said, referring to his monthly business trips from Miami to London and back in the 1970s and 1980s. “The most wonderful thing was reducing the number of hours in the air. From London to Singapore, you cut 17 hours down to seven.” International businesspeople especially were inclined to splurge on airfare because of the practical benefit; saving hours, even days, and avoiding jet lag. With twice-daily service from London to New York, it was not uncommon for businesspeople to take day trips and return home before pubs closed.
(I've my own memories of the Concorde. Aviation photography was an avocation (I was a shooter for Bruce Drum), and the time I flew one of Air France's Concordes, F-BVFF (today on static display across from the Hilton in Roissy at CDG), I received a nice commemorative digital watch as a gift - it didn't outsurvive the Concorde, I'm afraid. I'll admit I've visited on occasion, having a glass of wine in the Hilton lounge as I thoughtfully gaze at F-BVFF and reminisce. Speed. Sleek. She's still beautiful.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 2, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:14 pm

It was the only civil aircraft the average person would go and see.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alanR
I remember when I was a kid we all went to see the team Europe fly into ROC for the Ryder Cup. No one wanted to see the golfers....just Concord!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:26 pm

I disagree. The 747 was a celebrity jet as well.

-- PS

Isn't it amazing how the 2015 equivalent of the Concorde is... an Airbus A319?

I'm talking about BA's JFK-LCY, all biz-class route. Quieter and more luxurious than Concorde, actually. Just not as quick and a LOT less stylish.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 9, 2015 at 8:52 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:15 am
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
i remember after it was announced that the service was ending they lowered the pricing so that more people could experience flying on Concorde.

i had saved up the cost of the flight and about one month before booking the flight i got laid-off from my job. right after 9/11. so there went that...
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:23 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by GateHold
CWLCY (BA1-4) is operated by two A318's.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA

-- PS

I'm talking about BA's JFK-LCY, all biz-class route. Quieter and more luxurious than Concorde, actually. Just not as quick and a LOT less stylish.
I'd fly this route if they'd fly slower so everyone could get a good night's sleep on board.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:13 am

Was it? I don't recall ordinary people turning up at an airport just to see a 747.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: United MP
Was it? I don't recall ordinary people turning up at an airport just to see a 747.
I do!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Does POTUS coming into town count? Everyone loves to see the Boeing VC-25 arrive.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:42 pm

Concorde

I did enjoy seeing what I believe are the only 2 Concordes in North America this summer. One at the Museum of Flight in Seattle and the other which they said was flight ready at a hanger in Barbados should British Airways ever choose to fly it again. They have analog eqpt on the Concorde which would no doubt have to be changed today to make it flyable again. But a Beautiful plane for sure!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by MorePtsPls
I did enjoy seeing what I believe are the only 2 Concordes in North America this summer. One at the Museum of Flight in Seattle and the other which they said was flight ready at a hanger in Barbados should British Airways ever choose to fly it again. They have analog eqpt on the Concorde which would no doubt have to be changed today to make it flyable again. But a Beautiful plane for sure!
There's an Air France Concorde at the Udvar-Hazy museum at IAD too.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by MorePtsPls
There are 4 in North America.

G-BOAD as at Intrepid, NYC.
G-BOAE is in Barbados.
G-BOAG is at the Museum of Flight, SEA.
F-BVFA is at Udvar-Hazy, IAD.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Still a beaut to this day!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Will the Concorde fly again?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...rs?CMP=soc_567

A group of British aviation enthusiasts committed to seeing Concorde fly again has revealed it has the funds to purchase one of the supersonic jets and bring it back into service within the next four years.

Club Concorde, which consists of “ex-captains, ex-charterers and people passionate about Concorde” hopes to use £120m funding in reserve for its ambitious “return to flight” project.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.