Wiki Posts
Search

British tourists face travel chaos/ strikes by Spanish air traffic controllers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post British tourists face travel chaos/ strikes by Spanish air traffic controllers

British tourists face travel chaos as strikes by Spanish air traffic controllers threaten to disrupt holidays

British holidaymakers are facing potential chaos this week as Spanish air traffic controllers prepare to stage their first organised strikes in 26 years.
The labour dispute is threatening to disrupt holidays for hundreds of thousands of travellers, with workers planning to walk off the job from 10am to 12pm and again from 6pm and 8pm tomorrow.
More than 80 per cent of union members have endorsed the walkouts, which will also take place on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, 14 June at the start of a busy travel season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...#ixzz3cPW4Otz7
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"british" ? are they majority of impacted flights? odd.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I do think they get a lot of Brits going for holiday in Spain. I have friends in Buckinghamshire that are regularly over that way (and the article is from the British press so I'd expect some spin in their direction).
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tom911
I do think they get a lot of Brits going for holiday in Spain. I have friends in Buckinghamshire that are regularly over that way (and the article is from the British press so I'd expect some spin in their direction).
Yep, and apparently a lot of Brits retire to southern Spain or have second homes there. Some areas of the coast, such as Benidorm, are famous for this.

I don't know the statistics, but it wouldn't surprise me if Brits are numerically the largest group of foreigners to visit Spain. USA, China, Japan, France, and Germany should also be near the top, although Scandinavia as a group would also get a high spot on this list if it weren't divided into a handful of small countries.

However, it's preposterous to think that Spanish travelers aren't more affected or even worse, to write the article as if only the brits suffer from the strike's effects.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm sure the local Spanish press has a different spin on it.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
"british" ? are they majority of impacted flights? odd.
How is it odd? It's a British paper, The Daily Mail...their readership is primarily UK folks.... naturally they will write about stories of interest to their readers and focus on the aspects that impact them. It's no different than any other newspaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.