Wiki Posts
Search

Fox Business News: An Investigation into FAA's Hiring Practices

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by l'etoile
It is all about aptitude.

At this point, this is primarily about affirmative action and deception. What the FAA did was deceitful and ethically wrong. The new program may work out numbers wise (given that errors don't much matter anymore and it's all about training people to keep them, measuring success is difficult), but way too early to judge on pure washouts.

Additionally, one could easily argue the ATC program was at its strongest when the washout rate from the academy was at its highest.
There is a time and a place for affirmative action. But it has no place in a job where lives are on the line. You hire the best qualified people, even if that means you have an office of all Ivy educated white men aged 35-50.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by TMM1982
There is a time and a place for affirmative action. But it has no place in a job where lives are on the line. You hire the best qualified people, even if that means you have an office of all Ivy educated white men aged 35-50.
I agree with you in general, but I hope you don't think this even vaguely represents the actual situation.
For one, the FAA won't hire anyone over 31 into ATC because of retirement mandates (mandatory retirement at 56). And very few ATCS's (if any) in the agency are Ivy League graduates. The CTI graduates that are hired often hold 2 year degrees from community colleges.

Ultimately, while I don't believe graduating a CTI school can be considered a badge of honor in ATC vs an off the street hire, I do agree that because the FAA agreed to give preference to CTI grads, they should hold to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.