Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
NY Times: US Airports Better, Still Not The Best

No surprise that Chiangi still leads the pack:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/bu...=top-news&_r=0
Old May 12, 2015, 6:13 am

i read that article. I think the headline should be 'better, but still almost much, much worse than the rest of the high-income world'
Old May 12, 2015, 10:08 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Generally speaking, my two least favorite aspects of US airports are the tsa staff and the terrible ventilation. Plenty of other topics to mention, but those two stand out.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:28 am

Yes, lets compare HKG, SEL, SIN as the single point of entry to say the U.S where it has a dozen or so major POE's. The issue really does stand out, doesn't it.

How about this. If the public demands we have similar facilities, then lets shutter all but 3-4 nationwide, pump billions into building what the rest of the world has/wants/demands and force funnel all international travelers into those.

Oh unless you full time flying travellers are willing to reach deep into your pockets to pay, most of the U.S public doesn't give a care there's a mall, driving range, small little cubes to sleep in.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:54 am

I think ICN is a better airport than Changi.

In fact Sharkey's story was inspired by my post, here:

http://www.askthepilot.com/the-decline-and-fall/

You might like this one too...

http://www.askthepilot.com/essaysand...with-airports/
Old May 15, 2015, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Generally speaking, my two least favorite aspects of US airports are the tsa staff and the terrible ventilation. Plenty of other topics to mention, but those two stand out.
I've never particularly noticed ventilation as a problem. TSA, shopping & other facilities, and my #1 complaint: layout. I hate the way US airports are laid out. It's as if someone described how to lay out an airport to a designer. Who was blind. And new at the job. Over the phone. On a bad connection. I genuinely can't think of one where I like the layout. Denver almost gets into the Not Terrible range.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by ords
Yes, lets compare HKG, SEL, SIN as the single point of entry to say the U.S where it has a dozen or so major POE's. The issue really does stand out, doesn't it.

How about this. If the public demands we have similar facilities, then lets shutter all but 3-4 nationwide, pump billions into building what the rest of the world has/wants/demands and force funnel all international travelers into those.

Oh unless you full time flying travellers are willing to reach deep into your pockets to pay, most of the U.S public doesn't give a care there's a mall, driving range, small little cubes to sleep in.
Aside from the disparity in population and economy, you might have a point. The reality is that there's no reason the US can't have great airports. They choose not to.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by ords

The comparison halts a little.

1. SIN is the only commercial airport in a small city/state with 5.5 m inhabitants.

2. HKG is one of many large POEs in China, and from most parts of the world is not a hub to connect to mainland China.

3. SEL is the city code for Seol, served by two international airports Incheon (ICN) and Gimpo (GMP). The country, population 50 M, has in total 8 international airports:

Cheongju (CJJ) Cheongju International Airport
Daegu (TAE) Daegu International Airport
Busan/Gimhae (PUS) Gimhae International Airport
Seoul/Gimpo (GMP) Gimpo International Airport
Seoul/Incheon (ICN) Incheon International Airport
Jeju (CJU) Jeju International Airport
Muan (MWX) Muan International Airport
Yangyang (YNY) Yangyang International Airport

Of these, ICN is by far largest, for many reasons:
a. The Seoul Metro area is half the country population or ~25 M, second largest in the world
b. Home of both Korean Airways and Asiana
c. Beeing the Capital AND largest City naturally has attracted the traffic of foreing airlines as well
Old May 28, 2015, 8:03 pm

Oops, I'm reconsidering my earlier comment about ICN being better than Changi. I just got back from Singapore, where I had a long layover and some time to really poke around, especially in terminal 3. Alas, it was evening and the butterfly garden was closed, but the rest was pretty impressive. Amenities-wise both airports are comparable, but Changi has a style and personality that ICN lacks, I think. I just might give it the edge.

-- Patrick Smith
Old May 30, 2015, 1:55 pm

My two biggest complaints about American airports are the rude TSA staff and the long lines and inefficient handling at immigration.

At Changi there were not lines at immigration at all and the officer asked me "Would you like a mint while I look at your passport?"

Much different from the "Why are you here? Where are you going? When are you leaving?" theater.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Alex71
My two biggest complaints about American airports are the rude TSA staff and the long lines and inefficient handling at immigration.

At Changi there were not lines at immigration at all and the officer asked me "Would you like a mint while I look at your passport?"

Much different from the "Why are you here? Where are you going? When are you leaving?" theater.
Absolutely. Like beeing considered guilty until proven NOT guilty
Old May 31, 2015, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GateHold
Oops, I'm reconsidering my earlier comment about ICN being better than Changi. I just got back from Singapore, where I had a long layover and some time to really poke around, especially in terminal 3. Alas, it was evening and the butterfly garden was closed, but the rest was pretty impressive. Amenities-wise both airports are comparable, but Changi has a style and personality that ICN lacks, I think. I just might give it the edge.

-- Patrick Smith
ICN is pretty bland. Just the false ice rink and a CGV movie theater. I'd rather be at Changi.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Transiting to domestic flights in US airports is an awful, disorganized joke.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I've never particularly noticed ventilation as a problem. TSA, shopping & other facilities, and my #1 complaint: layout. I hate the way US airports are laid out. It's as if someone described how to lay out an airport to a designer. Who was blind. And new at the job. Over the phone. On a bad connection. I genuinely can't think of one where I like the layout. Denver almost gets into the Not Terrible range.
To be fair, most US airports were designed pre-9/11 and the retrofit of security was just crammed into whatever space was found. That said, I shudder at how the unconscionably rude TSA Smurfs bellow at everyone, and the airline employees at baggage recheck (post-entry) are little better. Neither the airlines nor DHS is interested in providing the training to improve the travel experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.