Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

£1,500 for your own row on a plane? (economy 'lie flat' bed)

Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Would you pay £1,500 for your own row on a plane? Airline (Kazakhstan’s national airline) launches economy 'lie flat' bed... by offering passengers three seats for half the price of a business flight

• Air Astana's new economy sleeper class combines three seats
• Passengers can enjoy some of the perks of business class
• Sleeper seats were introduced this month on flights to London
• Air New Zealand and China Airlines offer similar services

By Chris Kitching for MailOnline Published: 05:25 EST, 19 February 2015

Kazakhstan’s national airline is offering passengers the chance to sprawl out across an entire row on long-haul flights – at three times the cost of a single economy seat.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...#ixzz3SC4k37pV
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by SanFranDan
Kazakhstan’s national airline is offering passengers the chance to sprawl out across an entire row on long-haul flights – at three times the cost of a single economy seat.
Wait, when described this way....hasn't this always been an option? To just buy 3 seats at regular price?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On American Airlines, it's "extra seat"; Air New Zealand has "Economy Skycouch", a variant.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by JDiver
On American Airlines, it's "extra seat"; Air New Zealand has "Economy Skycouch", a variant.
Those two things are not even remotely similar.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Those two things are not even remotely similar.
Begging your pardon, how is purchasing two extra seats not exactly what is being discussed? How is Skycouch much different? Air Astana merely tosses a pad and duvet into the mix. Certainly nobody of any significant height will be able to stretch across three economy seats in any of these cases.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Yeah, three economy seats can't be more than 60" and a business seat is 80" or so.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by JDiver
Begging your pardon, how is purchasing two extra seats not exactly what is being discussed? How is Skycouch much different? Air Astana merely tosses a pad and duvet into the mix. Certainly nobody of any significant height will be able to stretch across three economy seats in any of these cases.
The Skycouch has a "leg rest" that raises and fills in the gap between the seats, turning it more into a bed. Look up the details on NZ's skycouch.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
I'd only pay 1500 if I was a manlet
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:42 am

I would probably pay a little extra to guarantee an empty middle seat.

But, I wouldn't pay 3x to be able to lie across a row of economy. With about 60 inches to work with (Astana 752 seat width is 18.1in), I think I would be uncomfortable trying to fit in that space. If I recall the last time I had the ability to lie across an entire row, the seats are not very deep, so I always felt like I was about to roll off.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
The Skycouch has a "leg rest" that raises and fills in the gap between the seats, turning it more into a bed. Look up the details on NZ's skycouch.
Still three seats, with a little bit extra - requiring a near-fetal position.

Now four seats in a center section of a widebody, that's sleeping on a plane..
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
I would probably pay a little extra to guarantee an empty middle seat.

But, I wouldn't pay 3x to be able to lie across a row of economy. With about 60 inches to work with (Astana 752 seat width is 18.1in), I think I would be uncomfortable trying to fit in that space. If I recall the last time I had the ability to lie across an entire row, the seats are not very deep, so I always felt like I was about to roll off.
I wouldn't pay 3 times or even double for 3 economy seats. I remember a flight on a 747 that was less than 30% full. My husband at the time years ago had 4 seats to himself, I had 3. It was so uncomfortable and you couldn't like down as there wasn't enough room for me to lie across and I am only 1.65 cm.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I wouldn't pay 3 times or even double for 3 economy seats. I remember a flight on a 747 that was less than 30% full. My husband at the time years ago had 4 seats to himself, I had 3. It was so uncomfortable and you couldn't like down as there wasn't enough room for me to lie across and I am only 1.65 cm.
Less than 2cm tall and you still didn't have enough room!

I'm almost 2m tall and can get reasonably comfortable on 3 economy seats. I lie down flat on my back, with my head on the window arm rest and my feet against the aisle arm rest forcing my legs into a ^ shape.

It's no bed, but it's much more comfortable than sitting upright all night. I wouldn't pay for it though - the entire reason for being in the economy cabin is I want to pay as little as possible!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:23 pm

I can say that ya for two adults it is definitely cuddle class. My GF and I are both 5'9 she is a twig and I am average sized and it was tight with the seats in front up. I dread to think what it would be like with the seat reclined.

We did sleep for 2/3 of the flight and we left the couch up sitting facing each other with our legs crossing and propped up against the wall / seat for the rest of the time. Now that was very comfortable and nice. We sail and are used to tight quarters so it was not a big deal, but honestly I don't think we would do it again. It was great when we were awake but not so much the rest of the time.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My last few flights on UA have been empty and I've had 3 seats to myself. It's hugely better than not having them and I certainly rested more by lying in a foetal position, but it was not very comfortable and I was quite sore and stiff by the end. But then, I didn't pay any more - in fact less as the fares were low.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I would consider purchasing 3x seats if it gave 3x RDM qualifying and award miles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.