Reload this Page >

The slow death of the Boeing 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The slow death of the Boeing 747

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
My first experience in a 747 happened at LAX in the 1990s (I think). I was on a business trip back to MSP flying NWA. I was dressed in my best business attire and got to the airport early. As I checked in the agent told me there was a plane swap to a new 747 that had just been put in service and was being flown to MSP. Offhand I mentioned I'd never been in a 747 upstairs and if there was any chance for a seat up there, I'd appreciate it. I got my boarding pass (downstairs in coach) and went to the gate early just to see the new plane.

About 20 minutes before boarding my name was paged and I went to the podium. The same agent I checked in with reached over and gave me a new boarding pass. I was now sitting in First Class first row upper deck in the window seat.

What a great flight that was.

Years later I used miles to fly NWA First Class in that same seat to Hong Kong. It was one of the last flights into the old, now extinct, Kai Tak Airport. If you haven't had that experience you can Google YouTube videos of planes landing at Kai Tak. You fly over the city coming lower and lower until you are flying through a canyon of tall buildings. (I swear you could see people walking inside their apartments). At the last minute the plane takes a 90 degree right turn, straightens out from the turn and almost immediately touches down.

What a great thrill to ride in that beautiful bird.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AA
I have only flown a 747 once but it is a beautiful aircraft.

Still, time marches on. The same could have been said for the Constellation...beautiful but became outdated.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
I've been on every Boeing that Star Alliance partners have, including the Dreamliner and nothing compares to a 747. The upstairs cabin is absolutely the best. It's so quiet and feels like you're on a small private jet. I will be truly sad when I don't get to fly on these from time to time.

..or if any airline would like to gain my loyalty forever, please offer a full fleet of 747's
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Look how many people love these magnificent birds. I'll actually go out of my way (and even pay more) to fly one, choosing an itin or airline accordingly. And as mentioned, if it's UD it's worth even more.

Can't Boeing put more efficient engines on them and keep building? Nothing compares.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by China Clipper
Can't Boeing put more efficient engines on them and keep building? Nothing compares.
They have. I@:-)'s called the 747-800
Old May 3, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I've been on every Boeing that Star Alliance partners have, including the Dreamliner and nothing compares to a 747. The upstairs cabin is absolutely the best. It's so quiet and feels like you're on a small private jet. I will be truly sad when I don't get to fly on these from time to time.

..or if any airline would like to gain my loyalty forever, please offer a full fleet of 747's
I dunno...I used to feel this way, then I got to compare BA's club world on the 380 to the 747. The 380 was a better experience in every way. Cleaner, more spacious, quieter, everything worked...granted, they aren't *A, but IMO the 380 experience is so much better than the 747.

Granted, the 380 is a hideous plane, and the 747 is just gorgeous, but purely from inside...gimme the 380 any day.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I'm probably in a minority but I don't think the 747 is gorgeous at all, and strongly dislike flying on it such that I will pay more to fly on a different plane on the same route/airline.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by China Clipper

The UD on a 747 is as near as I've ever gotten to heaven
Heaven can wait...
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Never flew on a 747, but when my uncle worked for Braniff, he gave me a tour of one when I was a young teenager. 35+ years ago, at the new DFW airport.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aaaaah, Braniff...

Bold painted aircraft (including 747's) and futuristic CC uniforms designed by Emilio Pucci
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
...nothing compares to a 747. The upstairs cabin is absolutely the best. It's so quiet and feels like you're on a small private jet.
It's also remarkably like being on a narrowbody (ie, 757) which so many people here seem to despise for long haul flights. Go figure.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It's also remarkably like being on a narrowbody (ie, 757) which so many people here seem to despise for long haul flights. Go figure.
You can't be an elitist snob on the upper deck of a 757 though...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:56 pm

The 747 program was tossed a life preserver today at the Paris Air Show. The Volga-Dnepr Group signed an agreement/MOU with Boeing to purchase 20 747-8Fs. This is extremely significant because the order backlog is only 32 planes.

Seattle Times: Russian cargo firm’s Boeing 747 order means more than a year’s work for Everett

WSJ: Boeing Gets Cargo Boost for 747 Jumbo Jet at Paris Air Show
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:19 am
Suspended

At this point it is a race to see which line closes down first, the A380 disaster or the 747 line.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You placing any bets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.