Search

WSJ: Airlines Get Tougher on Employee Flight Perks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post WSJ: Airlines Get Tougher on Employee Flight Perks

The skies are getting less friendly for “buddy passes” and other airline employee travel perks.

Nearly free standby travel programs have long been a benefit of working for airlines. Millions of people fly every year under these programs, which extend to current employees and their immediate families as well as airline retirees and their families. The programs also make available inexpensive “buddy passes” that employees and retirees can dole out to friends.

Abuse of the programs, however, has cost the carriers money and has even facilitated criminal activity, and some big airlines are starting to crack down.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/airlines...ees-1421865388
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Does anyone have a link to the article that isn't behind a subscription wall? I've searched but so far only find it on the WSJ site...
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by zpaul
Does anyone have a link to the article that isn't behind a subscription wall? I've searched but so far only find it on the WSJ site...
If you Google the headline you should be able to access the full article.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
That article wasn't locked when I posted it. Guess that changed in the last two days. Hope you can find it.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was able to find the article easily by googling the title. The first item was an unrestricted version of the entire article and a few comments on it (but apparently not all of the comments that have been posted).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Buddy passes and the like lost considerable value when airlines began reducing capacity - nonrevs with passes have lower priority than any paid passenger normally.

But committing fraud has just meant the airlines will further tighten pass issuance further.

Luckiest person I knew was a relative of mine: her husband was a UA high manager who retired after 39 years at UA in 1980, and she got (still has) two lifetime passes for First. She'd take kids, nieces and nephews for a few days in Hawai'i from time to time.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I have a friend I work with on a committee. He retired from UA years ago as a relatively high manager. Two weeks ago, in a meeting, I asked him how was his flight in. He replied his flight on Southwest was just fine. He said trying to get flights as a non-rev just wasn't worth all the trouble. Sounds like it going to be worse now.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by relangford
I have a friend I work with on a committee. He retired from UA years ago as a relatively high manager. Two weeks ago, in a meeting, I asked him how was his flight in. He replied his flight on Southwest was just fine. He said trying to get flights as a non-rev just wasn't worth all the trouble. Sounds like it going to be worse now.
Wow that bad!

I have a friend who regaled me with tall tales of him working for UA in the 80s, jetsetting all over the world every weekend in first on a whim. Seriously sounded like a golden age.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, F9 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
I completely agree with these changes. You see *way* too much funny stuff going on with buddy passes... Frankly, I'm surprised none of the big airlines have done away with them.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdventure
I completely agree with these changes. You see *way* too much funny stuff going on with buddy passes... Frankly, I'm surprised none of the big airlines have done away with them.
I think because it's one of the only huge benefits (left?) for working for an airline. I know if i worked for them i'd fight tooth and nail to keep it.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by mikekelley
I have a friend who regaled me with tall tales of him working for UA in the 80s, jetsetting all over the world every weekend in first on a whim. Seriously sounded like a golden age.
Wow. Sounds like the aerial equivalent of "Wall Street"...
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by abari
I think because it's one of the only huge benefits (left?) for working for an airline. I know if i worked for them i'd fight tooth and nail to keep it.
Buddy passes are worthless. I honestly don't understand why anyone wants them. I'd fight tooth and nail for a lot of things but I wouldn't even raise a finger for a buddy pass.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
interesting article.. despite the buddy passes, I understand employees often have access to deep discounts on paid flights through partner airlines as well.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by spades097
Buddy passes are worthless. I honestly don't understand why anyone wants them. I'd fight tooth and nail for a lot of things but I wouldn't even raise a finger for a buddy pass.
Agreed. I have a lifetime buddy pass on Delta thanks to my longtime girlfriend. Her late husband was a captain and when he died, she got 2 lifetime passes. But,,,, I cannot remember the last time I flew on a pass. Oh I just did remember, it was 2 years ago coming back from London. She got the last seat up front and I was stuck in a middle seat in the very back of the plane.
We usually just buy a cheap ticket on Southwest, Spirit etc or use CC miles for Europe. I got her a companion pass on Southwest and that is how we flew back to ATL from San Juan last week.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:34 pm

I know someone who tried to use a buddy pass to get from PHX-PHL. She missed a flight on a Friday and couldn't stand by on any flight over the weekend. She ended up driving to Philadelphia from Phoenix!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.