Search

Boeing exec sees strong demand for 737 MAX, confident on 777

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Boeing exec sees strong demand for 737 MAX, confident on 777

Demand for fuel-efficient narrowbody jetliners like the Boeing 737 MAX remains "very strong" despite the recent oil price slump, the planemaker's top salesman said on Wednesday.

Although lower oil prices might make some airlines hesitate about upgrading their fleets, the overall boost to the economy from cheaper energy is sustaining new jet demand, he said.
http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...609bc754d.html
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Boeing dropped the ball big time on the 737-MAX. While they thought it over Airbus, with a newer airframe design in the A320 family, forged on ahead with the 320-neo, and are handily outselling the 737-MAX. Beyond that, Airbus (with the newer design) was able to market the A321 as a replacement for the powerful Boeing 757 - Boeing has nothing in the works to replace the 757.

The many delays on introduction of the 787, followed by the batteries fissco, is also hurting them. I hope the 777-300 series and the newer 777X do very well - Beoing needs that to become more competitive with Airbus. Damn shame.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone else not looking forward to the 737max? I can't wait to be crammed in with 31" of pitch on a seven hour DEN-KEF Icelandair flight, or just as bad, or an overnight JFK-LHR flight.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by mikekelley
Anyone else not looking forward to the 737max? I can't wait to be crammed in with 31" of pitch on a seven hour DEN-KEF Icelandair flight, or just as bad, or an overnight JFK-LHR flight.
Don't forget the "enhancements" of the new, lightweight hard-as-rock seat that slides forward to recline at the expense of your knees and legroom. I can't imagine the 737 MAX will offer a scintilla more comfort than these.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Airbus forged on ahead with the 320-neo
But, I understood that the airlines had to push Airbus very hard to go with the new design over just a mod. While Airbus has the advantage right now, I suspect the B737max will get a lot of customers familiar with the 737 series. As to the seats, it seems to be a fact of life that space is going to get tighter on whichever aircraft.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:32 pm

IMO Boeing is paying for being the laggard; check the stats here.

Firm orders 3,624 neo vs 2,663 MAX; $363.9 bn vs $267.5 bn.
Firm + options + MOU 5,184 neo vs 3,839.

A few billion here, a few billion there and soon you're talking about real money.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by JDiver
Boeing dropped the ball big time on the 737-MAX. While they thought it over Airbus, with a newer airframe design in the A320 family, forged on ahead with the 320-neo, and are handily outselling the 737-MAX. Beyond that, Airbus (with the newer design) was able to market the A321 as a replacement for the powerful Boeing 757 - Boeing has nothing in the works to replace the 757.

The many delays on introduction of the 787, followed by the batteries fissco, is also hurting them. I hope the 777-300 series and the newer 777X do very well - Beoing needs that to become more competitive with Airbus. Damn shame.
Boeing may add the "max" suffix to the 737, but it's still the same narrow and uncomfortable fuselage that was sketched on a draftman's table in the 1950s. The 737 is no more comfortable than the same sized 707.

Last edited by Sabai; Feb 13, 2015 at 6:48 am
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:47 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by JDiver
Don't forget the "enhancements" of the new, lightweight hard-as-rock seat that slides forward to recline at the expense of your knees and legroom.
Those types of seats should reduce the recline wars, since passengers who recline give up some of their own legroom, rather than take all of it from the passenger behind.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by tjl
Those types of seats should reduce the recline wars, since passengers who recline give up some of their own legroom, rather than take all of it from the passenger behind.
They certainly do that, but they are amazingly uncomfortable on longer flights in all classes (e.g. SEA or SJC to KOA or HNL First in their Boeing 737-890 ETOPS). A serious flat spot in the buttocks after three hours; it makes arrival at HNL or

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.