Reload this Page >

Phony airline crew member got more than $277K in free flights

Phony airline crew member got more than $277K in free flights

Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Phony airline crew member got more than $277K in free flights

A man who pretended to be a flight crew member in order to get free or low-cost flights in and out of Los Angeles County airports, which he would then sell to “clients” who would pay up to $2,000 for a year of flying, pleaded guilty Wednesday to a federal wire fraud offense.

Gilbert Myers Jr., 38, of Atlanta, Georgia, entered his plea to conspiracy to commit wire fraud, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison. U.S. District Judge Dean D. Pregerson scheduled an April 30 sentencing hearing.
http://mynewsla.com/crime/2015/01/21...-free-flights/

No mention about pending charges for any of his clients who took advantage of this scheme.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:40 pm

In exchange for arranging their travel as “non-rev” employee travelers, Myers typically charged about $2,000 for one year of unlimited free flights, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Bad deal even if it were legitimate. No guarantee of availability, no choice of seat ... I'd wager many who paid the $2k would have saved money buying revenue tickets.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by davie355
Bad deal even if it were legitimate. No guarantee of availability, no choice of seat ... I'd wager many who paid the $2k would have saved money buying revenue tickets.
Not really...one or two long haul flights or even short haul, last minute bookings would easily cover $2000
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Don't airlines require ID? I don't see how a non-employee would get the non-rev travel in the first place, plus, how would a third party be able to use the perks? If the airlines are THAT lax about identifying employees, the airlines are just as guilty (well, almost).
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

social engineering will always be possible (and able to be successful)

The defendant advised his “customers” to avoid detection by dressing appropriately and told them how to respond to questions about their bogus employment at another airline.

fraudulently obtained boarding pass and their real photo identification...listed as employees of other airlines.

fraudulently booked these and hundreds of other flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.