Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Ask the Pilot: "There's Duct Tape On My Plane!"

Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

... Or so it would appear.

Every so often somebody uploads a photo of what appears to be silver duct tape affixed to some portion of an airplane. The media or the internet gets hold of it, and instantly it's a scandal. This week it's a picture of a Cebu Pacific Air A320, photographed with a taped-over panel near its port side wing root, touching off a controversy in the Philippines.

But what are people really seeing? the truth isn't so scary.

What you're actually seeing is a heavy-duty aluminum bonding tape known as "speed tape." It's a temporary fix and it's used only on superficial or noncritical components, until more substantive repairs are made later on. The tape is extremely durable and is able to expand and contract through a wide range of temperatures. It costs hundreds of dollars per roll.

More in my story here, including photos....

http://www.askthepilot.com/duct-tape/

Please enjoy it, and if you have any similar pictures, please let me know or feel free to post them here.

-- PS
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Meh...

One of my high school buddies had a car that was more than 50% duct tape.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jan 11, 2015 at 11:19 pm Reason: Damn you, autocorrect.....
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:36 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Seeing that it's Cebu Pacific, they might start charging passengers for use of said tape...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Seeing that it's Cebu Pacific, they might start charging passengers for use of said tape...
Or,it might actually be,well,-silver duct tape.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Still scary seeing it if you are a nervous passenger!!!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:51 am

I've seen this on transatlantic flights - made me a bit nervous, but if the pilot was willing to go up, I was.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:52 pm

I saw a pic earlier this year of a Shenzhen A319 with this on the leading edge. Naturally everyone commenting on it assumed it was duct tape.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.