Airline pilots face sunbed levels of UV radiation in cockpits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

Spending 56 minutes behind the controls at 30,000 feet is the equivalent of 20 minutes on a sunbed, the University of California has found

Airline pilots often boast enviable tans, but it may not be from the exotic locations that they travel between, but from spending too much time in the cockpit, research suggests.

A new study has found that spending 56 minutes behind the controls at 30,000 feet is the equivalent of 20 minutes laid out on an average strength sunbed.

Researchers at the University of California fear that pilots may be at risk from skin cancer by chronic exposure to UV rays.

And the authors suggest the levels could be higher when pilots are flying over thick clouds and snow fields, which can reflect UV radiation.
Article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...-cockpits.html

No wonder so many pilots have tans.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:50 pm

Not only a tan.

In 2008, I went to a dermatologist for spots on and about the head. This is consistent with an active outdoor life of mountain climbing, skiing, kayaking, and wind surfing / kite boarding. Yet none of that came up.

Upon examination the Dermatologist asked me " Are you a pilot ? "
" Yes, " I replied " I fly " a bit surprised. " Ah-hah. Yes, I can see that " she stated.

Reason ? Sunspots on the right side of my forehead and cheek.

Pilot on the port side of the aircraft, co-pilot on the starboard side. Guess where each usually develops such spots ?

They were removed fortunately without complications.

Sunbed at 30, 000 feet ? Absolutely, sometimes for 10 hours on.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:42 am

The risk of skin cancer in the pilots certainly higher, but in every profession has its risks. If at each focus, the most secure "work" will be sitting on the couch)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
My cousin has pretty rough skin from decades of flying he's done.

It's just part of the job.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is such a problem can the glass not be coated with a UV reflecting or absorbing film?

When I worked in an optics lab this was a standard procedure. Although the coating could be wiped off I am sure with some sort of lamination it could be made permanent.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
If this is such a problem can the glass not be coated with a UV reflecting or absorbing film?

When I worked in an optics lab this was a standard procedure. Although the coating could be wiped off I am sure with some sort of lamination it could be made permanent.
Before forcing the airlines to re-certify tens of thousands of airliners, why can't pilots spray their face with sunscreen? They aren't subject to the 3-1-1 restrictions, and medical necessity comes into play.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Before forcing the airlines to re-certify tens of thousands of airliners, why can't pilots spray their face with sunscreen? They aren't subject to the 3-1-1 restrictions, and medical necessity comes into play.
Just a suggestion!

I think pilots operating out of the UK are subject to the same rules as passengers for security.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
Just a suggestion!

I think pilots operating out of the UK are subject to the same rules as passengers for security.
So pax cannot bring liquids that exceed 100 mL that are medically necessary?

Wow.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I recall discussions of pilots getting skin cancers 20 plus years ago. I am suprised more studies haven't been done.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
If I understand correctly, technology to block UV radiation through glass is cheap. I'd be surprised if cockpit windows didn't already have some kind of filter, but I'm no expert.

No doubt this will be considered a workplace safety issue at some point, if it isn't already.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
So could the pilots require the airlines provide sunscreen on each flt, not carried on by the pilot, but brought on by catering/ground staff?

I guess the windows could not be tinted, as the aircraft fly day and night and sometimes in very brutal weather, where very clear visibility is required.

So the Pilot will get more UV radiation on the left side of his/her face/arms/hands, the Co-Pilot on the right.

This sounds serious to me. I always thought pilots had a tan from the layovers in HNL, MIA, and other beach suntanning locations, hanging around with FA's and white sand beaches.

So now I can look at a pilot and tell if they are the Captain or co-pilot by looking at their tan, not the stripes on their uniform. Amazing.

Sunscreen should be required.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:11 am

Not the first such case.

Trucker accumulates skin damage on left side of his face after 28 years on the road
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I guess he never dove in England. (The wrong side of the road).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
I guess he never dove in England. (The wrong side of the road).
One of these would do the trick -- left hand drive!

Grumman LLV
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
So pax cannot bring liquids that exceed 100 mL that are medically necessary?

Wow.
That doesn't follow from what I wrote?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.