Reload this Page >

CNN: Venice to ban wheeled suitcases

Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/21/travel...html?hpt=hp_c3

For years Venice has battled the effects of rising waters on its historic architecture, but now it's facing a new threat -- wheeled suitcases.

City officials have become so tired with the cacophony of rumbling luggage they're introducing fines of up to 500 euros ($620) for anyone caught using one.

The move, due to come into effect in May 2015, is likely to create a headache for many of 22 million who annually visit the city and need to cart bags to hotels in car-free streets.

For locals, long tired of plastic or hard rubber wheels rattling past their windows as they try to sleep, it will come as a welcome relief.

The new rules, which will require luggage to be transported on quieter air-filled tires, are the idea of City Commissioner Victor Zapparlorto, according to the Il Messaggero newspaper.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

details?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 pm

Read this this morning. While I've got mixed feelings about the way they are trying to solve the problem and the fine is crazy, I do sympathize with the locals. I hate the noise from wheeled luggage over bumpy surfaces.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
details?
Click the blue text. Think it's called a link. I did and a cool story popped right up.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Those who benefit so much from so much tourism should be able to deal with a few little bumps in the night.

Absurd.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

I don't think they can stem the tide of wheelies. Too many of us use them and no one wants to buy luggage specific to one city in the world. I found this quote in a 2011 article about the declining use of carts in airports.

“All of our luggage has wheels on them, except the small carry-on bags,” said Stephanie Goldman, a spokeswoman for Samsonite, one of the world’s largest luggage manufacturers."

Turning your back on wheeled luggage means turning your back on tourists. That's not in Venice' interest.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

article has no real details, im talking quotation of legal text etc
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
article has no real details, im talking quotation of legal text etc
If the update given in the Independent article linked below is any indication, they're either making it up as they go along, or there was some misunderstanding as to what the legislation was to convey.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...s-9880369.html

Update: Commissioner of the city of Venice, Vittorio Zappalorto has confirmed that rubber-wheeled suitcases have not been banned. However, discussions are underway regarding handcarts and transpallets which are used to transport goods on the pedestrian paths, whose wheels severely erode the delicate Venetian paving and cause noise pollution.
earlier in the original article:
Venice’s commissioner Vittorio Zappalorto introduced the rule which does not apply to Venetians, Il Gazzettino reported according to Mail Online.
Maybe you can do a search for minutes from the Venice city council, and translate the Italian. I'm not interested enough to go that far!

Last edited by gobluetwo; Nov 25, 2014 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah, that sounds more realistic

coverage is probably reminiscent of cruise 'ban' coverage
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Some local entrepreneur can surely come up with a modified dolly that would be suitable for holding suitcases. These could be rented out from automated kiosks via a credit-card (to ensure their return). Charge a nominal sum and people will use them. And you know what, a rubber-tire dolly is probably an easier way to pull your luggage on a stone pathway anyhow.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
After its stay in Travel News, and per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-how-post.html I will send this to the appropriate destination forum for continued discussion (while leaving a permanent re-direct in Travel News)

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Maybe you can do a search for minutes from the Venice city council, and translate the Italian. I'm not interested enough to go that far!
This story is completely false. It is quite unbelievable that days after it was proven to be false, a mainstream news organization like CNN still published it yesterday, on November 25th. I thought news organizations were supposed employ fact-checkers?

Translation from Italian sources has already been done. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...suitcases.html
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Interesting update from the Gazzetino, the Venice newspaper today.
VENEZIA - Un trolley? No. Un porta-trolley, allora? Sì, ecco. Un porta-trolley sponsorizzato che non metta in croce i turisti, costretti ad arrivare a Venezia con una valigia che non sia spacca-timpani e spacca-masegni. Il Commissario straordinario Vittorio Zappalorto, non potendo più smentire la storia, cerca di trasformarla in una opportunità di incassi per il Comune. Tant’è che una grossa azienda come la Roncato sta progettando proprio una valigia rispettosa delle città d’arte. Basterebbe autorizzare la ditta a chiamarla "Venezia" per farsi pagare le royalties, no?

Translation:
Wheeled luggage? No. But now, a porta-trolley (something that can transport the wheeled luggage)? Yes, there you go. A sponsored porta-trolley that doesn't place the tourists in the crosshairs, restricted to come to Venice with a suitcase that doesn't split eardrums and split cobblestones. The Extraordinary Commissioner Vittorio Zappalorto, no longer able to refute the story, is searching for a way for venetians to cash in on it. It is such that a large company like Roncato luggage is already planning to make a suitcase that respects this city of art. It would be sufficient if they call it "the Venezia" and pay us royalties, no?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
I thought news organizations were supposed employ fact-checkers?
"facts" in the news? surely you jest
thanks for all the real facts (and link) !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.