Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Analysis of Flight Delays by Departure Time

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Analysis of Flight Delays by Departure Time

Some nice plots generated from all US flight data from 2013 (excluding 12am-6am). Interesting trend at SFO vs. others.

http://www.decisionsciencenews.com/2...flight-delays/
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Not really surprising, but still nice to see a quantatative alanysis and validation of what we "know".

SFO likely has a large block of flights to the east coast, and 12-2 is about as late as those leave. So the tapering off of flights, allowing the airport to "catch up" is much earlier than most airports, where it's late in the evening.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
On time is totally controlled by the airlines. If you just pad the timings, the incidences goes down drastically. Just see what Southwest did. As soon as they added a few minutes, their on time statistics improved dramatically.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by duniawala
On time is totally controlled by the airlines. If you just pad the timings, the incidences goes down drastically. Just see what Southwest did. As soon as they added a few minutes, their on time statistics improved dramatically.
On time by padding would seem to affect arrivals. The article focused on departure times for specifically that reason.

I find the SFO curve very interesting. All other airports have a very similar curve trajectory, but SFO has a mid-morning bubble that the other airports don't have. Wonder what events could explain this?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:40 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
On time by padding would seem to affect arrivals. The article focused on departure times for specifically that reason.

I find the SFO curve very interesting. All other airports have a very similar curve trajectory, but SFO has a mid-morning bubble that the other airports don't have. Wonder what events could explain this?
Padding arrival times (i.e. being realistic about weather and other sources of delays) will also require adjusting departure times for flights using the arriving aircraft, so that the departure times are less likely to be delayed.

SFO has a large number of late morning arriving international flights from Asia. Combine that with the fog causing closure of one of the two main landing runways (because they are too close together to be used simultaneously in other than sunny conditions) and delays build up starting in the morning.

Those graphs may explain a lot why UA seems to get delayed a lot. ORD, SFO, and DEN, which are three of UA's big hubs, are high delay airports.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA

It's the peculiarity of the weather conditions at SFO, as has been alluded to. It's common for there to be fog at SFO in the morning which goes away in the afternoon. Hence, morning delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.