NYT: Big Ticket Fliers Poised to Gain Still More Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold

Interesting article on the changes DL and UA have made to their frequent flyer programs, and what it might mean.

"With 1,275 aircraft and flights to 369 destinations, Delta Air Lines is considerably larger than Swiss International Air Lines, which operates 90 aircraft and flies to 84 destinations. But it is neither Delta’s size nor its route map that is challenging the Swiss flagship carrier on flights between America and Europe.

Luring premium flyers from Swiss and other international airlines could be one of the consequences of a big change in how the Atlanta-based Delta and Chicago-based United treat their loyalty club members, according to several industry executives."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/tr...ore-miles.html
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
If I wanted to fly LX I could just ticket it on UA stock and earn miles by dollars spent.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta announced the fare-based earning structure in February and United followed in June. This isn't remotely news. Filler by the NYT.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
If I wanted to fly LX I could just ticket it on UA stock and earn miles by dollars spent.
UA isn't trying to get pax away from LX, they profit-share with LX (and LH) on their ATI routes. DL is trying to get pax away from LX. UA is trying to get pax away from BA, AF, KLM, etc.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fpc552
UA isn't trying to get pax away from LX, they profit-share with LX (and LH) on their ATI routes. DL is trying to get pax away from LX. UA is trying to get pax away from BA, AF, KLM, etc.
I know. But this only disadvantages OneWorld. Because if I wanted to earn more miles, I would just keep flying LX and ticket it on 016 stock, not switch to DL.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA1K; AA EXP
How Funny Would It Be If DL and UA Both Lose Customers and Revenue Next Year....

Since DL and UA is re-shifting its focus to appease premium customers who rarely pay out of their own pocket, relegating customers who pay for coach...

Well, business customers might enjoy the no-one-sitting-in-the-middle-seat, and corporate policy reverts to all business travel regardless of distance or duration will be in coach... just saying...

Wishful thinking: UA and DL found out 20% of its coach load are mileage runners.... MRers quit...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:06 am

It's cool how we are assuming these high value customers even care about miles. If I have the money to be a high value guy, I don't want to deal with award availability and other restrictions.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Paid F
Originally Posted by Wellington
It's cool how we are assuming these high value customers even care about miles. If I have the money to be a high value guy, I don't want to deal with award availability and other restrictions.
They definitely care, since they never pay out of pocket for anything. Airfares are paid by their company and then, when it's time to go on vacation and fly the entire family somewhere far away, they cash in their miles. Nice perk which will be made much easier by the absence of mileage runners gaming the system.

The only way around it is now going to be massive credit card spend to accrue points/miles. My neighbor, for example, spends $1M a year through his SPG business card and flies to Asia once per year with the entire family (5 ppl) for free.

Unfortunately, for the rank-and-file leisure travelers, you're screwed. Get used to your new position -- at the bottom!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Wellington
A lot of HVCs are business travelers who fly frequently and whose tickets are paid for by their employers/clients. I was in that category myself for several years, flying ~150k BIS miles and earning at least twice that in RDMs. Though I was making good money-- as most traveling professionals do-- those stacks of miles added up to significant value. They provided a very real increase in travel budget over what I was willing to spend out of discretionary income. I enjoyed using points on overseas vacations and last-minute trips that we wouldn't have paid cash for, thinking of it as a dividend paid for all those nights away from home and family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.