Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Are international air passengers about to be subjected to 'economy minus'?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are international air passengers about to be subjected to 'economy minus'?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:56 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by cmd320
The first airline that came to my mind is B6. With their offering of 38 in Y+ and 34 in Y, 30 in Y- would seem like a logical third tier and would fit in with the information in the article.

Paired with the recent change in leadership and rumors of adding more seats to the 150 seat A320s this could fit right in.
However, adding a row somewhere would also require adding a fourth flight attendant. B6 A320 planes once had 156 seats with 32" in front of the exit door and 34" behind the exit door. They removed one of the front rows to get 38" in front of the exit door and reduce flight attendants from four to three.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by tjl
However, adding a row somewhere would also require adding a fourth flight attendant. B6 A320 planes once had 156 seats with 32" in front of the exit door and 34" behind the exit door. They removed one of the front rows to get 38" in front of the exit door and reduce flight attendants from four to three.
I think if they could find a way to add that extra row back, create a Y- section or simply reduce pitches in all Y, they could add more like 2 rows, which would make for a better case to add that 4th flight attendant back... 12 additional seats at, say, $100/seat per segment in net profit.... easily pays for that extra FA and increases profit. Just pulled some random numbers that at least make sense to me... thoughts?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:20 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Looks like Jet Blue reduced seating from 162 to 156 seats in 2003:

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix....939&highlight=

And then later reduced seating from 156 to 150 seats in 2006:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/14/bu...lue.html?fta=y

The pre-2003 162 seat configuration had 32" seat pitch in all seats, according to the 2003 investor relations release.

Looks like they believe that the extra legroom is a worthwhile selling point (the 34" seat pitch is nearly as much as United's Economy Plus, and the 38" seat pitch is even greater).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.