Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Seattle Times: Chinese tourists, besotted with image of Paris, find harsher reality

Seattle Times: Chinese tourists, besotted with image of Paris, find harsher reality

Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

Some Chinese are targeted and attacked by thieves. Others encounter indifference or rudeness, and some vow not to return.

http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/...uristsxml.html
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting re targeting asians (as well as a wealthy saudi recently)

some asian FTer victims may have been targeted for that reason
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sounds like sensationalist hyperbole to me....

Psychologists warned that Chinese tourists shaken by thieves and dashed expectations were at risk for Paris Syndrome, a condition during which foreigners suffer depression, anxiety, feelings of persecution and even hallucinations when their rosy images of Champagne, majestic architecture and Monet are upended by the stresses of a city whose natives are also known for being among the unhappiest people on the planet.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I think that there is some truth to this.

It is pretty clear that there is some kind of targeting of Asian tourists going on. I think it may be cultural... the touts and creeps hanging around the Eiffel Tower, etc. seem to prey on young Asian girls who aren't likely to put up a fuss.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: TrueBlue
What I found 'unpleasant' in Paris were the numerous foreign beggars. Quite a scam, apparently, from Eastern European countries - it was actually a form of human trafficking where the 'pimps' held the passports of the beggars. Eventually we just developed a 'blind eye' to the scam artists but there WERE a lot of them (often with their sob stories in the same penmanship on their cardboard signs).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
It's the same with Japanese tourists, but they have a deeper sense of attachment with France in general that some are diagnosed with Paris syndrome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.