Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Daily Mail:Ebola warning: CDC tells airlines to 'treat all body fluids as infectious'

Daily Mail:Ebola warning: CDC tells airlines to 'treat all body fluids as infectious'

Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, AA CK

CDC expects cabin crew to don protective suits and clean airplanes in flight?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-airlines.html

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 22, 2014 at 8:05 am Reason: Added link to published travel news story per the forum description
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Not required. The instructions are the same as for many years for infection control in hosiptals, involving some PPE (gloves, etc.) but more likely procedures to prevent contact and spread. Disinfection also plays a role. This is not just for ebola, but for general infection control under Universal Precautions. All body fluids should be considered potentially infectious.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by pgrin
CDC expects cabin crew to don protective suits and clean airplanes in flight?
It expects them to put gloves on & use bleach
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:57 pm

If you sneeze, do you get quarantined on the flight? Will they have a quarantine section on every flight :-)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:01 am

If airline cleaning crews used the bleach required to effectively kill germs it would ruin seat belts, plastics and other surfaces. This is just my opinion.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sxytxn
If you sneeze, do you get quarantined on the flight? Will they have a quarantine section on every flight :-)
Are you serious or making a joke? As the first U.S. patient with Ebola is quarantined in Dallas, health officials are reminding folks it's not spread by air.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:15 am

Really, because I just actually read an article about how it's in droplets of water in the air. And how if you are a few feet away from the person you might be subjected to catching it..
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:33 am

http://mobile.wnd.com/2014/10/ebolas...ty-downplayed/
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/12/he...bola-airborne/
http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/..._of_ebola.html
http://scgnews.com/ebola-what-youre-not-being-told

Now all of this could be scaremongering at its finest. It'll be interesting to see what the real truth is here.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by sxytxn
Really, because I just actually read an article about how it's in droplets of water in the air. And how if you are a few feet away from the person you might be subjected to catching it..
Everything I have read suggests this as a theoretical, not a real world possibility.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:51 pm

universal precautions. The people who cleans the planes. were striking today at a NY airport requesting they have barrier methods to protect them when cleanng the planes. I believe they may want Hazmat suits when cleaning. I don't blame them.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by happymom2008
universal precautions. The people who cleans the planes. were striking today at a NY airport requesting they have barrier methods to protect them when cleanng the planes. I believe they may want Hazmat suits when cleaning. I don't blame them.
It's a domestic airport. Do you want to start wearing a Hazmat suit when you fly to Wichita? Maybe it will become the new fashion.

Should they have decent gloves? Absolutely. Not for Ebola. As it currently stands, they are more likely to get hit by a car crossing the street. They should have protection from far more prosaic infections like the flu.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.