Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

WSJ: The Trouble With Keeping Commercial Flights Clean

WSJ: The Trouble With Keeping Commercial Flights Clean

Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by tireman77
When exactly have airlines sanitized aircraft cabins?
Have you ever looked at an intl, LH, SQ, CA, or QF cabin at the beginning of the flight? I think that those are clean enough.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by fastfxr
Wow...what an effective way of ensuring your germs are on EVERY surface.
This is EXACTLY what I immediately thought. It's bad enough the water used to moisten the hot towels is quite possibly contaminated with bacteria let alone wiping everything down after wiping oneself.

The interior surfaces of an airplane is a breeding ground for bacteria. We are also locked up in a tiny space for however long with others carrying all sorts of viruses. Ebola is a concern of course, but so are a host of other illnesses.

The only thing I try to do is to wash my hands AND not touch my face/rub my eyes.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:52 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by weero
Have you ever looked at an intl, LH, SQ, CA, or QF cabin at the beginning of the flight? I think that those are clean enough.
Indeed. Clean enough. The person I was responding to was saying that planes used to be 'Sanitized'. To my knowledge, there is a big difference between clean and sanitized and planes were never sanitized, unless specific incidents required.

I think we're on the same side here.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Indeed. Clean enough. The person I was responding to was saying that planes used to be 'Sanitized'. To my knowledge, there is a big difference between clean and sanitized and planes were never sanitized, unless specific incidents required.

I think we're on the same side here.
About as "sanitized" as those motel toilet things used to be. That piece of paper instilled false confidence in an entire generation of germ avoiding youth!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Indeed. Clean enough.
Yes they very likely do not get sterilised.

But as we are not eating the seat cushion (most of us anyway), I am more worried about improperly mounted HEPA filters that a food-grade couch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.