NY Times: The Fadeout of the Mileage Run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY Times: The Fadeout of the Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maltasr
I'm curious where one can find AA miles @ 2.75. I've looked at all the obvious possibilities and can't come close to this number. Are you willing to share or is this a trade secret? My guess is it involves US to Europe RT flying.
I think that's what AA will sell you a (non-EQM) mile for.

Or you could buy US miles for much cheaper and wait for them to become AA miles. Although the only time I'd ever recommend anyone buy miles is if they need them immediately and have a very, very good use for them.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I don't see MRing going away for me.

Work and other travel puts me a little above 50K a year, I MR to 75K for plat, cover the min spend on the CC and call it a year. Plat is not a bad space to be on UA.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Fading my MR's

My MRing will go away after next year, when I project to reach the 2MM mark making me LT Plat (until United decides otherwise).
I will MR heavily during the Jan-Feb period and sparingly after that, hoping to achieve 1K again next year. The PQD requirement makes the cost-benefit unfavorable after that.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
What will you do if your company decides the miles are theirs? Legally I believe they have the right to force you to turn them over to whomever is paying for them. Wouldn't that be a bummer; but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by docnilay
Here's a single data point.

I'm doîng a mileage run @ 5cpm, 20,000 miles for $1100: JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-SIN-JFK on Delta to maintain Platinum this year.
Yep, I qualify on segments. I am doing a MR to get PM status this year, as my business travel has plummeted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.