Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Elvis' "Lisa Marie" and "Hound Dog II" jets for sale

Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/31/sh...ale/?hpt=hp_t3

The "Lisa Marie" is notable in that it's an ex-Delta Convair 880 (1960), the only one in the world in a preserved condition. It hasn't flown since it was installed at Graceland in 1984.

The CV-880 was intended to be a faster competitor to the 707 and DC-8, but never caught on. Only 65 were produced.

Apparently Graceland doesn't own the jet and is just displaying it on behalf of the owner, but the contract has expired. Since it's not in flyable condition, I don't know how you'd move it. It would be a shame to cut it up.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by alanh
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/31/sh...ale/?hpt=hp_t3

Apparently Graceland doesn't own the jet and is just displaying it on behalf of the owner, but the contract has expired. Since it's not in flyable condition, I don't know how you'd move it. It would be a shame to cut it up.
If I were the owner I would do the correct thing - it is part of the National Heritage and I would donate it to the National Monuments and make Graceland a National Park.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
All the elvis fans can donate to one of those online collection sites to get a few million to buy the plane on behalf of Graceland so it stays there.

It would be sad if it was moved so people who love Elvis could not enjoy it.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't heard of this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.