WSJ: Article on luggage theft [subscription required]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold

Interesting article about efforts to reduce luggage theft in the WSJ. First paragraph is:

"Airlines, airports, police and the Transportation Security Administration are all trying to tighten up to curb the persistent problem of luggage looting. The latest tools: high-definition security cameras and national meetings to compare notes on thieves. Then there are the carefully placed Montblanc pens."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/new-t...age-1407968449
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:53 am

Carry-on only and it never leaves my sight... that is how
I avoid luggage looting.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
I'm excited about the new breed of coin sized device trackers you can put on everything. I'll be throwing one in each of my bags once mine is delivered. Got one called the trackr bravo, hoping it works as well as advertised.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I'm sure the article is interesting, but unless you are a subscriber you can not read it.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Good something needs doing. I can tell you some real horror stories from a friend who used to handle baggage at a very busy and well known airport in Europe!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by PDXUA
I'm excited about the new breed of coin sized device trackers you can put on everything. I'll be throwing one in each of my bags once mine is delivered. Got one called the trackr bravo, hoping it works as well as advertised.
Please share how well these work when you get them. I've been looking at these devices for a while now but none of them have good reviews.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Here is an idea...have bags tags with embedded with RFID (really cheap now) and then have pax funneled through a reader area (think supermarket exit) when exiting the claim area. The RFID reader will time stamp the exit and will coincide with CCTV of the reader. If stolen bag claim is made then you could pinpoint the time it left rather than a range of time a flight came in. Before anyone says "someone may remove the tag before entering the reader" the RFID is still in the bag claim area and if a stolen claim is not made (within a reasonable amount of time) the system would delete the RFID data as "claimed not recorded" ....this could also be tied to email alert through the airlines that your bag was recorded leaving xxxx airport at xxx time.

Yes it would require standardization of RFID tags and shared databases at each airport, but would also help airlines with additional tracking support.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:11 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
How about having all baggage handlers pass through the nude-o-scoop/get a pat down as the leave the secured area after their shift?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paul56
I avoid luggage looting.
Don't fall asleep on the flight . . .
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
how to read this any any other article that's behind the wsj.com paywall: Type the headline ("new tactics in the fight against stolen luggage") into google or the search engine of your choice, then click on the link to the story on wsj.com appearing as top result.

I'm actually amazed at the numbers cited in the article. TSA opening and inspecting 5% of all checked bags? In all my traveling to and within the US since TSA was created, I've only had a bag opened and gone through once (with a note left behind).
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by bhomburg
how to read this any any other article that's behind the wsj.com paywall: Type the headline ("new tactics in the fight against stolen luggage") into google or the search engine of your choice, then click on the link to the story on wsj.com appearing as top result.
+1 ^ F- the WSJ.

Originally Posted by bhomburg

I'm actually amazed at the numbers cited in the article. TSA opening and inspecting 5% of all checked bags? In all my traveling to and within the US since TSA was created, I've only had a bag opened and gone through once (with a note left behind).
In my less traveling than you to and within the US, I've had the TSA note left in my bag a couple dozen times.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PBQ
How about having all baggage handlers pass through the nude-o-scoop/get a pat down as the leave the secured area after their shift?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Paul56
I avoid luggage looting.
This is how I travel 99% of the time, but every now and then even the best packers have to check something. Maybe it's work equipment that is just too big for a carry on, or maybe your wife bought too many souvenirs on vacation and you can't figure out where to put them alongside clothes for 2 weeks across four countries and multiple climates, and the now-expanded carry-on is no longer carry-on-able (in these cases, the remaining carry-ons contain all the souvenirs and valuables, and the checked bag contains nothing but dirty laundry, usually with an especially stinky pair of socks on top).

And anyway, passengers *should* be able to check their bags without an overwhelming fear that their stuff will get pilfered. In the safest of worlds I still would not put electronics or valuables in checked luggage, but I do like getting my clothes and suitcase back when I check a bag. Glad that there is some attention being given to this.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TaxiApple
I'm sure the article is interesting, but unless you are a subscriber you can not read it.
Just do a Google search of the headline, the full article is then available for your reading pleasure.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Just do a Google search of the headline, the full article is then available for your reading pleasure.
Not sure why, but this google "technique" is not working for me. Still directs me to the article preview.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.