Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Aug 12 - UA78 NRT-EWR Professor charged with groping sleeping woman

Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)

AUGUST 12---An Ivy League visiting scholar was arrested Sunday by the FBI after he allegedly groped a sleeping woman’s breast and then tried to slide his hand down her shirt while traveling on a flight from Tokyo to Newark, New Jersey.

Eun-jong Lee, 47, was detained by federal agents upon departing the United Airlines flight. He was subsequently charged with abusive sexual contact, a felony carrying a maximum two-year prison term and a $250,000 fine.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...st-bust-576321

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 14, 2014 at 6:09 am Reason: Copyright
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card

For someone who works in UX, I'd consider this a less than smart interaction.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
HE (and the rest of the passengers) are lucky the pilot didn't land at the closest airport (RE ANCHORAGE) and off load him there to the FBI....Ive now had that happen TWICE this year (but never before) on NRT-JFK flights (Both ANA though) and its not a pleasant experience.

Both times we sat for 5-6 hours after landing due to NH having to file new flight paths, as well as waiting for alternate landing sites in Canada to open in the morning (I didn't get this part as flights fly overnight between US-ANC all the time)

But when questioned I was told by both the pilots and the Ground Service Agent NH pulled out of bed that Canada is like the middle of the ocean at night and there still must be alternate landing sites avail between ANC-NYC
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:11 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
As this has little to do specifically with United Airlines or Mileage Plus, please follow it in our News forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
... land at the closest airport (RE ANCHORAGE) ...

Both times we sat for 5-6 hours after landing due to NH having to file new flight paths, as well as waiting for alternate landing sites in Canada to open in the morning (I didn't get this part as flights fly overnight between US-ANC all the time)

... Canada is like the middle of the ocean at night and there still must be alternate landing sites avail between ANC-NYC
That's right. ETOPS requirements for twin-engine aircraft (NH flies 777 between NRT-JFK) are not specifically for over-water flights but specify maximum time allowed from "nearest suitable field" for emergency landing. The vast majority of time an aircraft is far away from a suitable airport is when it's over water, but not always.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Dr. Lee does not seem to be too bright for an Ivy League professor. I suspect he is in for worse punishment from his school than fine and jail. Would the AAUP get involved in something like this?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
That's stupid! He cannot touching with her breast. That's not good! Unacceptable! He had to stay away from the women by 500 feet. He shouldn't never touch with the women. Never!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by relangford
Dr. Lee does not seem to be too bright for an Ivy League professor.
No, he is not an Ivy League professor, just a visiting scholar there.

According to OP's link:

Lee is a professor at Handong Global University in South Korea. He is also a visiting scholar at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, where he was headed prior to his arrest.
& Cornell is smart enough to cut him off:
8/12 UPDATE: After TSG first disclosed Lee’s connection to Cornell, a school spokesperson issued a statement saying that his “privileges at Cornell have been suspended and his future affiliation with the university will be assessed as the facts of this matter are confirmed.”
Don't know what his university, Samsung & LG will do since he "has worked closely with “Samsung and LG electronics design teams on smart interface/interaction design projects,”" but I doubt the society of South Korea tolerates this type of conduct and scandals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.