CNBC VIDEO: Flying is just as bad as going to the DMV: Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101754734?__s...ust+as+bad+as+

Forty-two percent rated the DMV as worse than a busy airport, while 40 percent said being in a packed airport is worse than standing in line to get a new driver's license.

Twelve percent of the 815 people surveyed said the two choices are equally bad.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
This is funny. For both situations I make sure to bring a thick book.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Many DMV offices are trying to get people to do all their transactions by mail or the internet. NYS many years ago digitized the picture on the DL; and since DLs have long expiration periods, for close to 15 years, I didn't have to visit a DMV office. [You could have your eye doctor certify your vision, and either mail the form in, or note his license number when you renewed on the internet.] I finally did have to go to get my picture updated (I didn't look close to my 15 year old picture). Airports are worse than DMV offices.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I haven't exactly had bad experiences with TD/ICBC though so I guess the same could be said about my flying (well, most of the time, unless I am flying UA...)
(TD for a licence exchange and ICBC for getting my first licence.)
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Heh, I've been to DMVs in Utah, Connecticut and Georgia in the last few years. The Atlanta experience was awful, something akin to flying EasyJet out of Luton at 5:30 AM with a bunch of tourists (done it - never again).

The rest have been smooth sailing. Much better than dealing with TSA at ATL, for example, or ridiculous cattle-class boarding on a 747 or something.

DMV > Flying, IMO.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:10 pm
Suspended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dYS7PcAG4
Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I've never been groped or irradiated at the DMV.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: Several dozen
But then the TSA never made you take a test to prove you could drive your vehicle. Q. What is the speed limit when driving your plane through a school zone?

Originally Posted by Herb687
I've never been groped or irradiated at the DMV.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Atleast the airlines let me pay by credit card or debit card and serve me beverages and snacks. The stupid dmv office I use doesn't do any of those things.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:45 pm

The last time I was at the DMV the wait less than about any security CP line I've ever been in.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
The last time I was at the DMV the wait less than about any security CP line I've ever been in.
precheck or non precheck?
(though these days it doesn't make a huge difference...)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Yesterday evening I flew home out of OAK after spending the weekend in the Bay Area, and the security line was wrapped around the building - the security guards said it was 30-35 minutes long. Fortunately, I got TSA pre-check, and was through in 2 minutes, which was nice.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by United747
Atleast the airlines let me pay by credit card or debit card and serve me beverages and snacks. The stupid dmv office I use doesn't do any of those things.
Free WiFi at the airport and/or an unlimited data plan on a smart phone makes a big improvement as well. At least you can kill time surfing the web.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Free WiFi at the airport and/or an unlimited data plan on a smart phone makes a big improvement as well. At least you can kill time surfing the web.
Or filing a complaint about unnecessary, excessive wait times.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Nobody ever made me take off my shoes at a DMV (or, in Massachusetts, RMV; the R is for "Registry").

OTOH, I never saw a lounge at a DMV. Maybe frequent visitors get one? Or people who pay $400 or so per year for lounge access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.