NBCNews.com: #Carryonshame Campaign Aims to Expose Overpacked Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/trav...velers-n128396

It's been the subject of intense debate here on FT.

I like the idea of calling people out on the fact that they're blatantly violating the rules and being horribly inconsiderate of others with oversized carry-ons. I just wonder if the practice will lead to confrontations and fights when someone snaps a pic of you and your Rollaboard Transatlantic Steamer Trunk.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:17 am

Personally I'm getting a little tired of the social media lynching practice that's really started up in the last year or two. Anyone that doesn't behave the way someone expects them to is immediately attacked via social media. Oh, and don't worry about whether you actually get the facts right when you attack someone this way, because that part isn't important. I do not feel the world is a better place for this type of practice, and if someone got their cell phone broken over it, quite frankly, my sympathy wouldn't be with the owner of the cell phone.

(Note, I'm not condoning bringing too much carryon luggage onto a plane, I'm just sick of the people that hide behind an alias on the internet trying to police the world so it looks like their viewpoint.)
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Having been busted for a bag that didn't fit the 'form' for Ryanair and paying out a few extra GBP to get on the flight WITH my carryon I didn't see the point as they still didn't make me gate check it, I had used that same carryon many times on other Ryanair flights. Ryanair is notorious for charging extra for everything. What annoyed me even more was that another passenger came on with 3 items AND this huge hat (picture sumbrero) then trying to get passengers to move their stowed luggage in the overhead so they could put their hat up there. The flight attendents didn't budge. I was hoping for the other items to move/shift during the flight and crush the hat!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Spud Hilton
Then they walk past the gate agents with an air of entitlement that says, "Those silly rules don’t apply to me."
Or maybe they just don't know. Certainly there are obnoxious travelers—Mr. Hilton has certainly outed himself as one of them with this campaign—but I imagine a lot of FTers wouldn't know the luggage allowance (or even think to check) for Amtrak. And most travelers aren't FTers.

Posting a picture of a gate agent seeing but not responding to a passenger exceeding the carry-on limit might be reasonable, as it puts a face to a systemic problem and could push the airlines to action. But picking on individual travelers is just juvenile, mean-spirited (bullying, even), and cowardly: if you have such a problem with a fellow passenger's carry-on choices, tell them in person how it negatively the other travelers instead of cyber-"shaming" them while hiding behind your smartphone.

(Also, I agree with everything piper28 said.)

Last edited by Rus925; Jun 11, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Respecting carry on rules is an act of decency and civilization. Waving your smartphone and threatening with social media at those who carry their 20ft container along, brings you down to their level of imho.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Zembla
Respecting carry on rules is an act of decency and civilization. Waving your smartphone and threatening with social media at those who carry their 20ft container along, brings you down to their level of imho.
+1
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
While I'm no fan of the double-wide carryon AND a "personal item" almost as big AND a purse AND a shopping bag approach, if you've ever flown an airline that strictly enforces limits it's not a fun experience either. It slows down the check in or boarding process and subjects you to needless bureaucracy. The weight limits tend to be very low and, because a sizer applies to all types of bins, it's generally small. So even though you have a bag that fits in wheels first in every single bin known to man, you end up checking it because it's a half inch too big in one dimension, or weighs more than 10 kilos. For actual business travelers, this is a massive hassle.

This hashtag effort is funny, but it strikes me as more busybody than anything else.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
I wouldn't go out of my way to shame the kettles going on their one holiday a year and attempting to avoid the baggage fee... but I regularly see people who should know better bringing luggage larger than allowable on board.

How do I know they know better? The platinum or chairman's tags on the bags. Really, you get free bag check at silver and above. Just check the damn thing.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta GM, US Gold, Amtrak S+
I don't have a problem with a larger carry on if your are experienced enough to know that it fits.

On the other hand, I find it ridiculous when people checks huge bags for short trips.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
The social media approach is juvenile for sure.

That said, on my flight last night some guy shoved his way through the boarding crowd, running over several people's feet with the two full-size rollaboards he was dragging along, both dangling elite tags from multiple airlines.

I'm not going to defend that guy in any way, but if GAs aren't going to call out something that blatant, I also can't really put all the blame on the passengers.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by piper28
Personally I'm getting a little tired of the social media lynching practice that's really started up in the last year or two. Anyone that doesn't behave the way someone expects them to is immediately attacked via social media. Oh, and don't worry about whether you actually get the facts right when you attack someone this way, because that part isn't important. I do not feel the world is a better place for this type of practice, and if someone got their cell phone broken over it, quite frankly, my sympathy wouldn't be with the owner of the cell phone.

(Note, I'm not condoning bringing too much carryon luggage onto a plane, I'm just sick of the people that hide behind an alias on the internet trying to police the world so it looks like their viewpoint.)
I hear you, but this isn't a societal issue. Airlines have clearly identified size limitations for carry ons and I have no issue with folks "exposing" other passengers who violate those written and announced size limitations. Folks who willfully break the rules are costing me space for my appropriately-sized carry ons. If I choose to expose another passenger who brings more luggage/stuff on board than the airlines allow, I'm not expressing my viewpoint, I'm defending the airline's policy and protecting my opportunity to carry on luggage that fits within that policy.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by FlyAndLive21
I don't have a problem with a larger carry on if your are experienced enough to know that it fits.

On the other hand, I find it ridiculous when people checks huge bags for short trips.
Curious, how do you know the length of other passengers' trips?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I hear you, but this isn't a societal issue. Airlines have clearly identified size limitations for carry ons and I have no issue with folks "exposing" other passengers who violate those written and announced size limitations. Folks who willfully break the rules are costing me space for my appropriately-sized carry ons. If I choose to expose another passenger who brings more luggage/stuff on board than the airlines allow, I'm not expressing my viewpoint, I'm defending the airline's policy and protecting my opportunity to carry on luggage that fits within that policy.
Can you break out the logic steps from you tweeting a photo of an overpacked traveler to you not having to check your carry-ons? Because I don't think the latter logically follows the former; it just makes the unfriendly skies that much more hostile. Not to mention that, if we're talking about vigilante enforcement of airline policies, United (and likely the others) prohibits photos in the cabin, so what's next? Bag-shaming shaming? Meta-tweeting?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Curious, how do you know the length of other passengers' trips?
Sometimes these folks are my travel companions.

On more than one occasion I've gone on a trip with an overpacker. If they've got an overstuffed roller they are trying to carry on, I gently insist that they allow me to check it for them using my free baggage allowance. Generally makes for a more pleasant journey all around.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Any lawyers know if the posting of pictures could result in a winning lawsuit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.