NBCNews.com: #Carryonshame Campaign Aims to Expose Overpacked Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBCNews.com: #Carryonshame Campaign Aims to Expose Overpacked Travelers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Rus925
Can you break out the logic steps from you tweeting a photo of an overpacked traveler to you not having to check your carry-ons? Because I don't think the latter logically follows the former; it just makes the unfriendly skies that much more hostile. Not to mention that, if we're talking about vigilante enforcement of airline policies, United (and likely the others) prohibits photos in the cabin, so what's next? Bag-shaming shaming? Meta-tweeting?
An overpacked traveler takes away others' opportunity to NOT have to check carry-ons. Seems like simple logic to me. If you bring more stuff than you're allowed, that takes away the opportunity for others to bring what they ARE allowed.

Who's advocating vigilante enforcement of airline policies? I'm taking a photo of an overpacked passenger and sharing it via social media, not confronting him/her. There's a simple way to avoid being the subject of my photography: don't bring more stuff on the plane than the airline allows.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I hear you, but this isn't a societal issue. Airlines have clearly identified size limitations for carry ons and I have no issue with folks "exposing" other passengers who violate those written and announced size limitations. Folks who willfully break the rules are costing me space for my appropriately-sized carry ons. If I choose to expose another passenger who brings more luggage/stuff on board than the airlines allow, I'm not expressing my viewpoint, I'm defending the airline's policy and protecting my opportunity to carry on luggage that fits within that policy.
Beg to differ, you are expressing a viewpoint. It's the airlines policy and frankly in my opinion its their job to enforce that policy not anyone else. Unless I'm mistaken you are not employed directly or indirectly by the airline.

It is a societal thing when you think you have some right to enforce other people's rules, I'd be interested to understand why you think you have such a right if not under the general "its the right thing to do" category.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just when you thought hashtags couldnt get even more ridiculous
(the satirical / self parody / entertainment value ones dont count)

the societal things here: complaining + social media + "news" that isnt news
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Originally Posted by idayvuelta
So even though you have a bag that fits in wheels first in every single bin known to man, you end up checking it because it's a half inch too big in one dimension, or weighs more than 10 kilos. For actual business travelers, this is a massive hassle.
If a bag is overweight or oversize then it should be checked regardless of by how much or how little it exceeds said dimensions....if that is a massive hassle then make sure the bag fits the requirements.

That said, the only way people will get the message is if airlines consistently enforce the rules....until then, people are just going to continue to flout them whether they know better or not.

That said, I don't see any point to the social media campaign - and agree that the current trend that seems to make it ok to harass people via the internet is somewhat alarming, and such behavior should not be encouraged by the media.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by bugsy
If a bag is overweight or oversize then it should be checked regardless of by how much or how little it exceeds said dimensions....if that is a massive hassle then make sure the bag fits the requirements.
Came across this. I assume you will be voluntarily checking your bags from now on.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...mits/10246511/

"American (as well as Delta and United) has updated their carry-on bag policies, including a 14-inch maximum width, and my Rimowa is 15 inches wide, as are many carry-ons."

Last edited by idayvuelta; Jun 13, 2014 at 6:13 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Any lawyers know if the posting of pictures could result in a winning lawsuit?
yay! another chance to make a few bucks out of litigation - I'm going to start bringing on loads of carryon baggage in the hope that I'll be photographed and shamed on the interwebs
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by burmans
Beg to differ, you are expressing a viewpoint. It's the airlines policy and frankly in my opinion its their job to enforce that policy not anyone else. Unless I'm mistaken you are not employed directly or indirectly by the airline.

It is a societal thing when you think you have some right to enforce other people's rules, I'd be interested to understand why you think you have such a right if not under the general "its the right thing to do" category.
OK. You're entitled to your opinion.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Any lawyers know if the posting of pictures could result in a winning lawsuit?
Not in England & Wales. What possible grounds could you have for suing someone that posted a picture of you?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: SK,BA,QF,AA, HH, IGH
Came across this. I assume you will be voluntarily checking your bags from now on.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...mits/10246511/

"American (as well as Delta and United) has updated their carry-on bag policies, including a 14-inch maximum width, and my Rimowa is 15 inches wide, as are many carry-ons."
If the bag I wanted to take didn't meet carry-on requirements, then yes I would check it actually (assuming I didn't wish to purchase another bag that did meet the requirements).

While I do understand the frustrations of having to comply if your bag is only slightly over the requirements, (especially if it met the previous set of now changed requirements), however, unless the line is drawn somewhere and then strictly enforced, you end up with the current situation where some people clearly take the piss and bring on bags that should definitely be checked.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by bugsy
If the bag I wanted to take didn't meet carry-on requirements, then yes I would check it actually (assuming I didn't wish to purchase another bag that did meet the requirements).

While I do understand the frustrations of having to comply if your bag is only slightly over the requirements, (especially if it met the previous set of now changed requirements), however, unless the line is drawn somewhere and then strictly enforced, you end up with the current situation where some people clearly take the piss and bring on bags that should definitely be checked.
Well - and perhaps we disagree here - that's my point. On airlines (generally in other regions of the world) where carry on limits are strictly enforced for most travelers it means they must check a bag, even if it's reasonably sized. Only small overnight-type bags or backpacks in practice may be brought on the plane (either because of size issues or weight - ten kilos is limited). While that may be just fine for casual travelers (and admittedly makes boarding/finding bin space MUCH saner), it simply does not work for the majority of business travelers.

That's why I think you really haven't seen super heavy-handed enforcement of these rules by US carriers (at least relative to overseas counterparts). The American business flying public would absolutely not stand for it.

**I suppose I should add (and perhaps this was your point) I'm all for enforcement of reasonable carry on limits. My point is, in practice, the limits are rarely reasonable.

Last edited by idayvuelta; Jun 13, 2014 at 9:54 am Reason: addition
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:54 am

the american business flying public would absolutely not stand for it.
don't tread on me!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
While that may be just fine for casual travelers (and admittedly makes boarding/finding bin space MUCH saner), it simply does not work for the majority of business travelers.

That's why I think you really haven't seen super heavy-handed enforcement of these rules by US carriers (at least relative to overseas counterparts). The American business flying public would absolutely not stand for it.
Because there aren't business travelers in other parts of the world?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by burmans

I agree with you completely.

However, since the airlines generally seem unwilling to enforce their policies, it is perfectly within our rights as their customers to put pressure on them to do so. Posting pics of people flagrantly violating the policies and getting away with it does three things:
1) Makes people wonder why those pax think they're above the rules
2) Makes people wonder why the airlines aren't enforcing the rules
3) Helps to inform the casual traveler what the rules are in advance (most of them will follow the rules if they know what the rules are)

Bringing this issue out with such a campaign will only help to reduce the problem. Sitting back and grumbling under your breath about it does nothing except let the offenders get away with it.

I understand and completely agree with those who say that we should mind our own business. However, when someone else's actions directly affect me, that MAKES their actions fall within the scope of "my business" and I am free to comment on their actions.

And yes, those who flaunt the carry-on size limits most certainly do affect me, and everyone else who boards a plane, because their oversize bags take up more than their allotted amount of the shared overhead space (forcing others to gate check carry-ons that might contain expensive or fragile items), slows boarding and deplaning, and increases the potential for accidental impacts.

I for one don't ever plan to gate check my carry-on, because it routinely contains several thousand dollars worth of camera and computer gear (and yes, it does meet the size restrictions). Nor would I enjoy getting rapped on the noggin by Uncle Marv's carry-on shipping crate as he struggles to get it into the overhead above my seat or remove it upon landing.

In short, those who post these pics ARE minding their own business. Because those who violate the carry-on restrictions directly affect everyone else aboard the aircraft.

And before anyone dismissively mentions it, yes, this is indeed a First World problem. I live in the First World. If I lived in the Third World, I'd be complaining about famine, war, and pestilence. But I'm an American, so I complain about the price of gas and people who violate the carry-on rules.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Because there aren't business travelers in other parts of the world?
First of all most business travelers in other parts of the world are by definition flying internationally, which means you have to clear passport control and customs anyway. Secondly, it's been my observation that more people check suitcases (ie rollaboard size or bigger) than carry on as compared to the United States. I've observed a much stronger culture in the US there's among road warriors of avoiding checking a bag whenever possible even though because of elite status or reimbursements there's no financial reason to do so.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:18 pm

Can't imagine that standing in front of someone and taking their photo and, when confronted, saying "oh, I'm going to upload it to a blog about people who have big bags on aircraft" isn't going to lead to altercations...

One could always explain to that person that you have strong views about carryons, and ask them to check the bag. Or ask the gate agent to have it checked. Can't really see either of those happening, to be honest. Much easier to stick something online and feel like you've done your bit without actually having to interract with anyone...

I see this turning into a load of blurry clandestine photos from across the gate or through the gap in the seats... hehe, that'll show 'em! In all likelihood these people aren't even going to see the photos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.