Search

FT.com: Shrinking hotel rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 3:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

FT.com: Shrinking hotel rooms

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bd6c7050-4...#ixzz32rGpIqYk

Compact hotels are based on the idea that many will accept a smaller room and reduced facilities for a lower price and a good location. So what’s on offer – and how tiny is too tiny?
The article highlights a 'hub room' due to open in London by Premier Inn (Hub by Premier Inn) in September '14 which allows check in, room allocation and even room temp control from a smartphone.

It's a tiny room with a focus on quality.

Have to admit I'd happily book in for a night or two when in London and assuming it fits with works travel policy I'll give it a whirl.

My only concern would be noise.

What you think?
Old May 26, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I consider Yotel a godsend and use them often (off the transatlantic plane, into the shower and the bed in the shortest possible time cos it's inside the terminal) and never had a noise problem with them.

The US way of getting out of the terminal, waiting for a shuttle, checking into a hotel, checking out is not made for these quick sleeps. You are losing an hour there which is a big deal when you have say a 7-8 hour layover. Also, with a Yotel can book far ahead by the hour, I got bitten so hard when I tried to get a day rate at Honolulu but all of them were booked. Meh.

Last edited by chx1975; May 26, 2014 at 7:57 pm
Old May 26, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
A few variants that aren't behind a paywall (looks like this is a pretty old story):
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...-fife-26073504
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...ub-hotels.html

My first thought was a SMALLER room @ Premier Inn?! (<123 sf for US readers) I didn't think that was possible! The larger TV is a welcome upgrade, but it may actually be too large for a room that size.

Originally Posted by GarethK
It's a tiny room with a focus on quality.
Nothing about PI indicates a focus on quality. Consistency is more of a focus.
Have to admit I'd happily book in for a night or two when in London and assuming it fits with works travel policy I'll give it a whirl.
Why? What is it that's appealing to you? Seems too tiny. Sounds like there'd barely be room for their (already uncomfortable) desk chair, not room for anything else besides the bed.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
It reminds me of Tune hotels. For short solo stays those little very cheap rooms are hard to beat really.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
A few variants that aren't behind a paywall (looks like this is a pretty old story):
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...-fife-26073504
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...ub-hotels.html

Nothing about PI indicates a focus on quality. Consistency is more of a focus.
Why? What is it that's appealing to you? Seems too tiny. Sounds like there'd barely be room for their (already uncomfortable) desk chair, not room for anything else besides the bed.
For reference the FT article is recent. The reference to quality picks up on some of the PI marketing. What appeals to me is the minimalist nature of the hotel/room.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"many will accept" - not really

"many" stick to average hotels

super cheap AND super expensive hotels are small population compared to average (the lower/higher the prices goes away from average, the smaller the population)

would be nice to see more new airport sleeping options, regardless of details

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 2:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Agree with that for the reasons already highlighted. The yotel might work in September after a night flight in coach!
Old May 27, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
On the TPAC side of the world, I've stayed in a small single-bed room on a couple trips to Japan. It had a bed with mini desk at the end, tv (I think that swung out from the wall, full bath with a washlette toilet. Everything I needed. Quite comfortable for this large-bodied traveler. And good price.

Not quite a capsule hotel.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

should clarify - im personally only interested in airport hotels when it is impossible to reach a destination via a nonstop, and the connecting airport(s) cannot be transited in one go, whether on same airline or two different airlines, because of the length of time between flights - so there is not really any choice but to book a hotel

also, in cities with VIP airport services and airport trains, queues/traffic are not a problem to get to hotels in city, so in those cities i would most likely do that rather than desiring airport hotel, which to me is also about avoiding said traffic/queues

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 27, 2014 at 8:48 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Agreed, and having fewer features/room in a hotel like this would appeal to a wider audience. But these PI rooms appear targeted more at city centers.

I think they already do a great job at squeezing their hotels in where there's really not much room for them. Not sure why they think they need to go for even smaller rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.