Flying With the One Percent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by d0pamine
the 0.1% flies private.

Being in the top 1% of the US is very different if you live in CA or NY vs elsewhere, where the $9MM of assets required for entry buys you two nice houses, and not much else. If you're in the lower 1/2 of the top 1% in CA or NY, you really don't feel anything more than very upper middle class - you certainly don't feel rich - and consequently a mix of J F and Y probably exists. If you're elsewhere and in America's top 1% you're probably using the excess cash for J or F.
Some of the 5% flies private too. Keep in mind general aviation that includes things like a Piper or some Cessna planes. That means more people can afford to fly private than just a subset of the 1%. Most private flights don't really fit into the popular image of flying in a luxury private jet.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Keep in mind general aviation that includes things like a Piper or some Cessna planes.
indeed most flights are mid to low level business on small planes, domestically

i think NBAA puts out at least some general stats regularly
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
There is a big difference between being worth $1,000,000 and making $1,000,000. Which is the millionaire? When I was young, there was a television show, "The Millionaire", in which John Bersford Tipton would give a total stranger $1,000,000, making them a "millionaire". Today, many middle class folks are close to, or exceed, the net worth figure (including their homes) - thanks to inflation and government policies (of all administrations). I would define a millionaire as one earning that much per year. I have known a lot of 1%ers who fly coach or maybe business, even internationally, especially for vacations.
Do net worth stats include the primary residence? I've always seen millionaire stats exclude the home.

I wonder if the same rules apply to hotels (staying in a luxury hotel/resort vs. a Hampton Inn, ect.).

Last edited by Shangri-La; Jun 7, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Taj Gold, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some of the 5% flies private too. Keep in mind general aviation that includes things like a Piper or some Cessna planes. That means more people can afford to fly private than just a subset of the 1%. Most private flights don't really fit into the popular image of flying in a luxury private jet.
That is a very good point GUWonder. I should have been more specific in my description of "flying private".

On the topic of actually piloting planes, one thing I've looked into (and fantasized about) is fighter jet ownership. Given how many fighter jets governments around the world have produced for wars that never materialized, there are a lot of functioning jets available for well below cost prices. Obviously maintenance and fuel are what make the costs impractical, but you can buy a functioning MiG-21 for $70k, and even something as relatively modern as a MiG-29 can be bought for <$3MM (government of Hungary is selling!). I know Ellison and Paul Allen own and fly fighter jets.

Anyone heard of any lesser 1%ers having similar hobbies?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by d0pamine
On the topic of actually piloting planes, one thing I've looked into (and fantasized about) is fighter jet ownership. Given how many fighter jets governments around the world have produced for wars that never materialized, there are a lot of functioning jets available for well below cost prices. Obviously maintenance and fuel are what make the costs impractical, but you can buy a functioning MiG-21 for $70k, and even something as relatively modern as a MiG-29 can be bought for <$3MM (government of Hungary is selling!). I know Ellison and Paul Allen own and fly fighter jets.
Time to go to my couch, close my eyes and dream.

Just out of curiosity, what type rating do you need to fly one of these?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.